Stupid Sears Policy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Aug 18, 2005.

1. My girlfriend's daughter is getting married, and she set up a wedding gift registry at Sears. Since she (the bride-to-be) lives in New Mexico, and I'm in Tennessee, I figured I'd buy her one of the gifts online, and she could pick it up at the Sears store near her house. No problem, I find her registry on the Sears web site, and the site shows the item is in stock at the store. Great...let's pay for it...oops, the web site won't process the order, it just dumps me back to the Sears home page.

Hmm, let's call Sears customer service...two calls and fifteen minutes later, I'm speaking to a customer service rep that is barely understandable (foreign accent)...Best I could understand her, their policy is that I can't pay for it and have her pick it up. Security reasons, you see. I could use the online site to ship it to her, but for her to pick it up, she must have my credit card in her hand.

Huh?? Maybe we misunderstood. After all, we're paying for it in advance online.

So we call back, this time someone who speaks English. But same stupid response. I cannot pay for her gift--the gift that's in her name on her Sears wedding registry--and have her pick it up at her local Sears store.

Gee let's talk to a supervisor....STUPIDvisor would be more like it. Same moronic answer. "But I'm paying for it in advance!! I live in Tennessee, she's in New Mexico!!" No, that's their policy.

Now I'm all for fraud protection, whatever. But this is ridiculous. She's registered at the Sears wedding registry, they have her name and address, she can show ID. But she can't pick up her gift at the store locally if I pay for it??????? What genius thought of this? It's actually LESS possibility of fraud if she picks it up at the store, because she would have to present herself and her ID at the store.

Idiots. I ordered it from Walmart, it's actually $2 cheaper.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    standard policy... and I'm glad they do it!

I'd hate for someone near me to swipe my card and order a bunch of nice stuff so their "cousin/daughter/friend/mother" could pick it up out of state without at least having shipped it to a business/home!

[edit]I get your registry thing... you are right it's a grey area. I'm still all for it though.

speaking of Walmart... try having them match the prices @ the store :rolleyes: I had it out with a manager over that one good last fall[/edit]
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm with James on this one.

What's the big deal with having it shipped to her? Much more fun to get a shiny box in the mail than have to drive to your local Sears and pick it up. :D

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Shiny boxes make great wedding gifts. Nice choice. ;)