1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stylistic Differences...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassNoob?, May 2, 2006.

1. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    My band formed in January of last year. At the time, we wrote songs based on our guitarist tastes (Green Day-ish songs). After six months, we decided to call it quits because the songs we were writing just didn't have a great impact. We got together every so often to play a few covers, but nothing serious. Over this time, our guitarist's interests changed completely, and he now loves southern rock (allman brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd). My drummer and me started getting into the more modern metal music after going to a screamo concert.

Now just a month ago, we got back together and decided to really be serious about the band. The problem is, we can't really decide what direction we want to head in. My guitarist suggests writing Red Hot Chili Pepper songs, which I have no objection to. Flea is great. But, my drummer, wants to head in the opposite direction. He wants to play the music that is currently popular in our school (bands like Atreyu, Atticus). I really like playing this music, and I agree that we should head in that direction. With an upcoming gig this saturday and three band practices this week, we need to start writing again. The people attending the gig on Saturday will be into the more modern music.

I'm stuck. I don't know which direction to turn in. We are all really good friends and would play together even if one of us liked techno, one metal, and one be-bop. We just don't know in what direction to turn the band in.

What would you guys do?:confused:

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Cancel the gig? How many song do you have to come up with by Saturday? Seems like an awfully short time frame, especially if you're writing songs.

3. dude, this is how new sounds are created. different people with different influences. Sounds like a win win deal in songwriting. You guys might create a totally new sound with all of those kick ass influences. Go with it, just try to get along while doing it.

4. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Well, we've had a month. We will be refining them this week :)

5. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    hmmm I'm not that optimistic.
    It often goes into the opposite direction.
    my band is in the same situation. I'm the one who wants to do heavy music and metal stuff because that's my music and what I listen to all the time. our singer (who plays guitar, too) only wants to do folk and acoustic songs now :eek:
    our lead guitarist is only interested in being louder than everybody else and in his PA. and our drummer is...well... he isn't interested in anything :D

last year we wrote like 2 or 3 songs....
    It doesn't really matter know because all of us are going to university soon and are going to be far far away from home so we will quit the band and doing it just for fun now.

we started with punkrock and it was great because all of us were fine with that but time has changed.

enough of that
    hope this is a bit usefull for you

btw: my english sucks big time
    will watch sin city now :D

6. You could go the 'theatrical route' and all come on stage, hit one of those over the top opening chords with lots of drum flare and posing - then you look at the guitar player and say something unintelligible - he gets really mad and charges you... you both fall to the ground in a mock tussle - the singer grabs the mike calling for security and you have a friend's dad haul you away in some sort of paddy wagon...

The crowd will be talking about you for weeks and you don't even have to play a whole song!

or not.

7. i hear ya man, but there is a monstrous difference between you wanting to do metal and your other guy wanting to do folk/acoustic. Sounds like A Mighty Wind meets Spinal Tap, that sh** don't work. I don't think his guys have that big of a difference in their tastes.

8. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    No, not at all lol. :meh: I think that combining the styles would be a bit over-the-top. We have tried, and the end product is a song with a Blink intro, a Sublime verse, and a Green Day chorus lol. It was completley un-intentional though :smug: