1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sub $300 amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CoreyN, Mar 9, 2008.

1. CoreyN

CoreyN

Mar 9, 2008
    I'm in the market for a new amp. However, I can't spend more than $300, and ideally closer to $250. I don't play much electric, and typically all I need to be able to do is keep up with the drums, piano and guitar. More than anything, I'm looking for a small, versatile amp that will sound decent and be loud enough for small venues in mostly acoustic settings. I've read many good things about the Yorkville XM100, but I noticed they make a 50 watt option as well. (The XM50) Will that be enough for me, or should I try to save up for the 100 watt option? I haven't used an amp in so long, I have no sense of what I might need. Also, if anyone has any comment on the difference between the XM50 and the DB50, I'd love to hear it.

I use a Fishman FC, by the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. The 50 should be fine for your usage. I've used an XM50 for small rooms for years. Not a hi-fi amp by any means but good enough to reinforce the low end from the stage, YMMV. Haven't seen a DB50 but I imagine they'd be much the same.

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    +1 on the bm 50
    i bought mine used for 60€ from ebay, best price-performance-ratio ever! and it can be really loud for a 50watt amp. and sounds good with my FC

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB