1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sub $500 extension cabs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm trying to figure out the extension cab thing. I use a GK MB150 and have some gigs in bigger venues booked. I am currently using a little 10" Carvin thing and it works fine. I actually got a very nice compliment and my gig last night. Some dude pulled me aside and said "Man, Your tone is HUGE". I do feel like I can upgrade though.

The ones in the running now are upgrading the driver in the Carvin cab (I ordered an Eminence which I can return) , the Epifani UL2-110 which Musicians Friend has for $449 or the Aguilar GS112 which a local store has for $419. I have found a few used things for less but I'd like to buy new with warranties and all if possible. I've heard great stuff about EA gear but it is all 4 ohm. It has to be smallish and 8ohm. Let 'em fly.

I have seen other threads to this effect but could find the right thing in my searches. Thanks.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Dr Bass 112 LF is a fine small box that will add a lot of oomph to your rig. The GK cab made to go with the MB150 is no slouch either.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have to admit. I'm kinda leaning towards the Aguilar right now. I heard some very nice things about it and it can be used for doubling too.

4. I think Roger Shew (Rshew) may have a Flite going for Cheap. might want to give that a look see

5. Brian K

Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Go with the Aguilar cab. I've owned a few 12s over the years, and the Aguilar DB112 is the best, for double bass and electric. The GS112 was very good too, and they can go for $250 or $300 used if you look around, but I find the punchier mids of the DB series cut through a band better and feels louder than the scooped hi-fi modern sound of the GS112.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks guys. There is also a EA VL 110 in the classifieds. I was leaning a bit towards a new purchase though. I like the warranty and all.

Any more thoughts?

Right now the Aguilar is in first place followed closely by the Epifani.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Beyma loaded Dr. Bass 112 LF

8. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I have an EA Vl110 and a CXL112 both are 8 ohms and are great with both basses, you can find them used both faerly cheap

9. pthorstenson

pthorstenson

Jul 14, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    I use the GS112. 1 for small gigs, 2 for rockin out. I use it for both electric bass in a wedding band and for my upright bass in my jazz/groove band. They put out a nice low end and can handle a lot of power. The adjustable tweeter/horn is nice for doubleing - almost off for UB and about 40% for electric for me. They can also use speakon or 1/4.

For the money, I have been completly happy and I would recommend the speaker.
    The only speaker I have ever had problems with was a EA Wizzy. It sounded great for 1 gig then died. I replaced it the the GS112 with no problems after about 40 gigs.

My rig is an iamp800 and a new standard LaScala and a Fender Jazz.

PJ

10. why not get the matching gk extension cab? the folks at rmc audio have killer prices on gk and they're good people (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

jeff.

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    A friend of mine has a gk cab and I borrowed it for a few gigs. It was amazingly portable and the price is right. I liked the sound fairly well but it didn't really sound any better than the Carvin cab I am using now. I am also looking for something with a little 'warmer' sound.

12. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I just picked up the Aguilar GS-112NT (no tweeter). Of all the cabs in the store (EA, several Aguilar, Epifani) I felt the Aguilar I picked had the warmest tone. I liked the Aguilar DB-112 but it was $100 more than the GS and it is rear ported which has caused me problems with other cabs in the past (especially when used outdoors).

I'm gonna use it at a gig Thursday so I'll report back.

13. holzwurm

holzwurm

Oct 3, 2007
    Germany
    I've recently played through a Markbass 2 x 10" (2 x 12"? – I don't remember exactly). Pretty good!

14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I tested the Aguilar. OMG. HUGE TONE!!! Almost woke my napping child and the whole rest of the nocturnal creatures nearby. I'm stoked to use it on my gig Thursday.

15. Considered Avatar?

16. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    You're going to have to pry this Aguilar from my cold lifeless fingers.

17. Hands down....

AGUILAR.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  19. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    So the Aguilar cab was a big hit at my gig last night. It was in a room at needs some pretty healthy amp support and the PA is a little weak for the size of the room. The drummer noticed the difference in tone after the first note. He said the tone was big and warm. He said it was one of the best upright bass tones he had ever heard. He ended the night saying (unprompted) "I love this thing. I want to marry it". The piano player described it as thick with really good sustain. He especially dug it on the ballads. Soloing was a dream. Very easy to hear everything and very even across the bass.

It was a little power hungry and I had to turn up my little GK a bit more than I did with the Carvin cab but the results were much more pleasing. Very even over the whole range of the instrument. Big, fat, warm. The low notes shook the ground (in a good way). I had to use the power of the Stark E responsibly.

20. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I can pretty easily imagine how the Aggie would seem hugely phat, esp. compared to a GK speaker. I've occasionally wondered why more DB players don't use them for their primary cab. I got the impression they might be too fat down low and too scooped in the mids, and therefore attractive to a lot of slab players, but arguably less "accurate" in the mids for DB than say Epifani, EA, or Bergantino. Does that align with what you hear with your Aggie solo'ed?

Anyway, glad you're diggin' it. That's all that really counts.