Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sub VS. Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Dec 11, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Which bass has "more bang for the buck" a premium tribute, or a musicman sub.

2. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Tryin' to remember which G&L Tribute I tried. .. I ended up buying a Conklin GrooveTools 4 over it, and then bought a SUB a month later. I'd have bought the SUB over the Conklin hands down. I just wasn't pleased with the G&L. . .it may have been in part the strings that they ship with those basses, on the small side, that made the bass seem less impressive. The Conklin is a sweet bass, too. It's got that great open-string tone that captures my attention, and the SUB has it in spades PLUS the attitude that isn't so much in the Conklin, that snarl. I think the Slinkies EB puts on the SUB are part of it too.

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    In both cases, I would look for the "real things" used. I have owned several Stingrays and G&L L2000's and ASATs. One thing about G&Ls is that they have a low resale (when you buy new and have to sell) and there are so many used 'Rays out there that you could pick up a used Ray or L2000/ASAT for $600 to $800 on Ebay if you are patient and watch the Buy-it-now listings. Either one would be an improvement over the Tribute or SUB.

I had an active SUB briefly and while they are built well and play alot like a real Music Man, the preamp sucks IMHO. I think I'm too used to the center detents on the Ray... I like to start flat and boost/cut as necessary and the SUB makes it difficult to find that flat point (I think both bands act as a boost only that gets too muddy/sparkly in the extremes).

Worth a thought.
    :)

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a G&LTribute 2500 5 string (all Ash) that I bought as a beater bass that I could keep at the rehearsal space and take to jams. It sounds GREAT, has incredible tone and cuts through the mix very well. The only thing I dislike is the depth of the neck is a bit chunky, but still highly playable. It is also a little heavy, but not the worst I have ever felt. VERY VERY Good bass for about $500.

5. I'd go with the Tribute. If you're actually looking for a Stingray sound, then don't go with the SUB. It doesn't have nearly the grit and snap of a real Stingray. The L2000 will be a lot more versitile, too.