1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sub VS. Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Dec 11, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Which bass has "more bang for the buck" a premium tribute, or a musicman sub.

2. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Tryin' to remember which G&L Tribute I tried. .. I ended up buying a Conklin GrooveTools 4 over it, and then bought a SUB a month later. I'd have bought the SUB over the Conklin hands down. I just wasn't pleased with the G&L. . .it may have been in part the strings that they ship with those basses, on the small side, that made the bass seem less impressive. The Conklin is a sweet bass, too. It's got that great open-string tone that captures my attention, and the SUB has it in spades PLUS the attitude that isn't so much in the Conklin, that snarl. I think the Slinkies EB puts on the SUB are part of it too.

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    In both cases, I would look for the "real things" used. I have owned several Stingrays and G&L L2000's and ASATs. One thing about G&Ls is that they have a low resale (when you buy new and have to sell) and there are so many used 'Rays out there that you could pick up a used Ray or L2000/ASAT for $600 to $800 on Ebay if you are patient and watch the Buy-it-now listings. Either one would be an improvement over the Tribute or SUB.

I had an active SUB briefly and while they are built well and play alot like a real Music Man, the preamp sucks IMHO. I think I'm too used to the center detents on the Ray... I like to start flat and boost/cut as necessary and the SUB makes it difficult to find that flat point (I think both bands act as a boost only that gets too muddy/sparkly in the extremes).

Worth a thought.
    :)

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a G&LTribute 2500 5 string (all Ash) that I bought as a beater bass that I could keep at the rehearsal space and take to jams. It sounds GREAT, has incredible tone and cuts through the mix very well. The only thing I dislike is the depth of the neck is a bit chunky, but still highly playable. It is also a little heavy, but not the worst I have ever felt. VERY VERY Good bass for about $500.

5. I'd go with the Tribute. If you're actually looking for a Stingray sound, then don't go with the SUB. It doesn't have nearly the grit and snap of a real Stingray. The L2000 will be a lot more versitile, too.