1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

success

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wrench45us, Nov 4, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm the guy who was recently complaining about thumpiness on the B string not matching tone or sustain to the other strings.

Rather than go over the string sets that had this character, (and slowly I realize this may not be true for all fiver basses as there are many 'intangibles' in play here) I thought I'd recognize the two sets that I found so far that do match nicely for sustain and tone acrsoo all 5 strings

D'addario half rounds
    GHS Pressure Wounds

The GHS are on now for 2 days and I'll probably stay with them for at least a month to see how they mellow in that time. As it is by day two it sounded good enough that I didn;t want to put the bass away.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Glad to hear the Pressurewounds are treating you well; they're usually on at least one of my basses. I adore them.

3. Good to hear. I've got some Ken Smith Compressors on order and I hear these are very similar to the GHS Pressurewounds (except for being longer, which is why I ordered them!)

4. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    since GHS is on the line, I should mention the bass came with GHS Boomers that were too buzzzy and ringy for me (but my wife liked the sound) and they were also consistent in tone and suatain across all strings.

I could have left well enough alone, but I didn't.