1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggest a gig bag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Searched, newest result was from 2011. Had a Ritter, loved it but it's getting beat-up. One zipper quit and a few seams are going... Would like to keep it under $50, will not be touring. Needs to house a Jazz V.

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Under $50 is going to limit the quality greatly. The G&L gig bag is really great for the price and runs about $79. I'm sure you could find one of the retailers that are doing a sale and get it a little cheaper. Of the less than $100 bags, that is my favorite. Also if you can find an MTD bag, those arent bad either.

3. Yeah, I guess I was going by eBay * bargains*... :rolleyes:
    How about telling me about your favorite gig bag and why you like it?

4. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I'm not sure about your budget...but the best choices I have used are the FBass bags and Mono

good luck!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Check out a Carvin bag. $44 last time I looked.

6. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    +1 on the mono bag. Pretty expensive but a great, solidly constructed bag

7. The Road Runner stuff Guitar Center sells is pretty solid, good padding, good strong zippers, tough fabric. I looked at quite a few gig bags last year and theirs was the best at the price point. I own one of their soft road cases and it is a nice piece of gear.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are nice bags under 50 but not going to be super rugged for touring.

Kaces
    Fusion F4

9. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    If anybody is "touring" they should get a HSC.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Agree,

But should really be a "Flight Case"

Some "Hard Shell Cases" like the Fender Style 1/4" Plywood will get torn up faster than a high quality gig bag.

If OP can get into the high 100's the quality changes drastically...

11. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    No doubt. I love my Mono.

12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    My last one lasted forever, but it just didn't have enough pockets for various items. I recommend one that has lots of pockets. If it's a known brand it should probably last a while.

13. Thanks all- again, I will NOT be touring, although for others' sake please post any semi-related info.
    I don't need a lot of pockets as I have a very well-stocked camera(or perhaps gun, not sure)bag that has served me well and shows no signs of slowing. One bass, a small stack of music, tuner and cord or two and I'm good.
    :cool:

14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    +1

I bought a RR bag about 5 years ago and just recently replaced it with a Reunion Blues bag. It's beat up, but still functional.

15. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

May 11, 2012
    +1 for the Mono

16. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    this.

lemmy tell ya..im a cheapskate..and i hate soft cases..i always said they were for pu$$ys..i still cringe at the thought of suttin landin on the soft case..right where the neck is..sheesh.

and i.went lookin for the best soft case for the money. roadrunner. the.best bang/buck gc has. now..maybe at some other giant music store that gc doesnt own has a better one..but i aint heard of it yet. ;)

ymmv..tho it probly wont.

17. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Absolutely LUV my iGiGs bags! Super high quality construction, tons of storage, great protection for my basses. I've had two of them for about 4 years and with all the constant gigging, rehearsals, and practice, only one bag is showing signs of wear, and that's only in one spot. They really do still look brand new. They ain't cheap, but I'd call it a solid investment. I will buy another when I get another bass!

http://www.flyigig.com/

I know it's way more money than you wanted to spend, but you did ask what my favorite bag was and why...;)

18. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The OP mentioned a Fender Jazz V as the bass that he wants to protect, correct? At the low end a Fender MIM 5 string will be around $500, an American Standard is around $1000, and an American Deluxe may run as high as $1500. If we're looking at the middle of that range, you're talking about $1000 worth of instrument. To my way of thinking, spending $50 on a gig bag is an exercise in not adequately investing in the safety and protection of your gear. Because the $50 options that are on the market aren't that great.

How do I know? A guitar player I used to work with carried his 60's vintage Fender 12 string to rehearsal in a pretty cheap gig bag. Currently, that instrument is valued at over $6000. Well, after a rehearsal he was packing his gear into his car. His 12 string was in it's gig bag, perched on the lip of the trunk of his car. And it fell. There was noticeable finish damage on the parts of the instrument that came out of the gig bag which had a poorly secured zipper. And the guitar player was completely freaked out over this.

Ever since, I've gotten quality gig bags for my instruments. My main gig bag now is an iGig. Mostly, I use it for carrying around my Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string. That bass ran me close to $1K new, and it's only gotten more valuable ever since the model was discontinued. The iGig bag cost me about $175 or so. It's got amazing padding, and I can fit my sheet music book, tuner, cables and some other supplies in there easily. But my primary motivation for getting this gig bag was to protect the bass. And it does that amazingly well.

19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I bought a brand-new G&L bag locally on CL for $40. It's pretty nice. I also have an Ultimate Support Series 1 gigbag that I bought used locally for $45 that I like even better. Nice pockets. The challenge is to find them used and clean.

Not long ago a G&L bag was in the TB Classified Accessories for $50 shipped, so they can be had close by.

I had a Fender deluxe bag for a hot minute that I thought was pretty nice too, and you can get that new for less than $50.