1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggest a Power Amp for me (on a budget)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snogaws, Oct 22, 2010.

1. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Sorry if there's already a thread about this...

Right now my rig consists of an Alembic F-2B and SF-2. Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and can only afford a power amp in the $300-$400 range. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Connor

2. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hey conNor! how many watts are you looking for? i love my QSC GX3 and GX5. my singer uses my GX3 for his synth stuff (laptop running NI Kontakt through Ableton Live) and i use the GX5 for my bass rig. i think they're $400 and $500.

Peavey has some very interesting inexpensive and LIGHT power amps in the IPR series, but they are newer so harder to find till they get their stock right.

3. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    The Carvin DCM1000L seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. the 1000W bridged is ideal

4. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yep. that's a damn nice power amp.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You already own a poweramp, you'd just need to plug your Alembic into your Eden WT-600 Effects Return jack. (this would bypass the Eden preamp section)

6. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
  7. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I know that, I'm selling the eden though because I don't need all the features. This way I can get some extra cash and still have a power amp.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Crown Drivecore XLS 1000. You can find them for around $ 250 on the net.

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    #1 on the Crown XLS Drivecore 1000 or 1500. SUPER LIGHT! (8.6 lbs) And it's really small (8" Depth), it fits in a SKB Shallow Rack with room to spare. Plus it's hard to go wrong with Crown's warranty (3 Year No Fault Fully Transferrable). I had a XLS Drivecore 1500 (1550 Watts bridged at 4 Ohms) it was great, tons of power. Only got rid of it cuz I stopped gigging. I paid $349 for it, but I think they go for like $399.

I'm a big fan of Carvin's stuff, but Crown has them beat on these amps.

10. bigshoo119

bigshoo119

Jan 18, 2010
    +1

You'd be set with anything Carvin. Reliable, powerful, cheap, and best of all... LIGHT!

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Crown Drivecore XLS is not a good match for the Alembic F-2B. I bought the XLS2500 to use with my F-2B and Acme speakers, and even the XLS2500 was not enough, so I ended up returning it. The Drivecore XLS' input sensitivity (1.4V) is just not a good match for the F-2B. You might have better luck than me if you are going to run in bridge mode, but I'd still recommend against it. For the F-2B, I'd highly recommend trying to get a poweramp with an input sensitivity of 0.775V, but that may be out of your price range. The Carvin may be your best bet with it's input sensitivity of 1V.

12. Stewart World 1.2 Power Amp. You can bridge it and get 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. 700 watts @ 8 ohms. It is clean, reliable, and is ONE rack space. You can find them for about $350 on the used market.

I've had a Carvin, and it was OK, but this thing blows it out of the water.

13. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I have a Stewart 1.6 I would let go for about $350. 1400watts bridged @ 4 ohms.