Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggest a poweramp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucai, Jan 17, 2005.

1. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    Recording Engineer, The Pocket Studios
    So i just bought a bass pod pro and about to buy a 4x10 mesa powerhouse and add a 1x15 later, what power amp
    would you suggest for this? i was looking at the qsc plx
    line, all help is appreciated

-lucas

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as far as lightweight yet powerful poweramps go the undisputed favorites around here are the qsc plx series and the stewart 2.1 and 1.6. all of these amps are 2 rack spaces, fairly deep, can handle 2 ohm loads per side/4 ohms bridge mono, and are 20 pounds or less. (I own a stewart 2.1. My vote would be for this or a plx 2402 or higher due to the power and light weight)

other favorites (but heavier) include the crown amps, crest amps like the ca-9 and ca-6, and the qsc rmx amps. from what i understand, amps from carvin and mackie aren't all that bad either.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    other then being heavy... I dig my Crown CE1000

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    qsc rmx 1450 is what i have

plx is what i want - 20+lbs less than my rmx

my back can't it take anymore

:)

5. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    So exacly how much power would i need to power the mesa 4x10 powerhouse and the 1x15 add on? Im new to this
    and i looked at the qsc plx specs and if im running both channel's i get less power per channel coming out? So i'd
    need to have a power amp that can deliver 600 watts to
    both sides if i wanna use a 4x10 and a 1x15? sorry bout all
    the questions but you guys dont realise how big a favor this
    is to me.

-lucas

6. Lucas,

Check the back of your cabs for the RMS and the ohm values.
    Then check the amp spec.
    Try to get a bit less power on the amp than the cab, that way you are sure your cabs are not overpowered (duh).

The PLX are able to load each channel individually. So no worries about mixing 8ohm and 4ohm on 2 different channels... the amp does its job. One channel could have a 8ohm speaker and the other channel could use a 4ohm speaker without any problems.
    You may need new cables though. I realized after purchasing my PLX that it needed speakon cables... do your home work on that as well.

For explanation of ohm load do a search in the amp forum

7. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Can't go wrong with the QSC RMX series if you're on a budget.

8. Thats what I was going to say.

9. I have the RMX-1450 and it kicks booty but is NOT light..... PLX is not cheap, but I am.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have had great luck with my PLX 3002, and would heartily recommend it any bass player. That said, a number of players have had good results switching form PLX series amps to a Crest CA9. Out of curiosity (and seeing a good deal on one used), I picked up a CA9. It also impressed me, and has mucho cajones, but to be honest, I didn't hear enough of a difference to justify buying one over the other. They both sound very good to my ears. I am going to try and get them both out to a gig with some demanding sound challenges (meaning, I get to turn up - a lot!), and I may know more after this gig.

But, in short, PLX series from QSC and CA series from Crest both get my vote.

11. I'm going to have to disagree on getting an amp that is slightly less powerful than the rating of the cabs. IME, this is exactly what is going to lead to damaging the speakers. If you start trying to drive the amp very hard, you will start sending a clipped signal to the speakers which could contain considerably more power than what the speaker is rated to recieve.

I would go with an amp that is putting out more power than what the speaker can handle. You use common sense and don't crank this amp and you can be driving the speakers near their max RMS value with nice clean power (since you still have headroom left in the amp).

Since the two cabs you are looking are rated for 600W and 400W respectively, I'd look for an amp that can either put out 600W or more per channel at 8 ohms or one that can put out 1000W or more in 4 ohms bridged. It depends how you want to run the amp. I personally run mine in bridged mode.

12. Don't forget about the high powered, light weight, single rack space, reliable Soundtech PS 802.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thank you Tom! I needed to hear this! ;)

Im another happy PLX user. I use the 2402 and its a very powerful amp. It does take a hot preamp signal to drive it though.

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I used to run four Peavey CS800 power amps bridged into my stack. They are a bit heavy, but you can't blow them up. Best of all, you can pick them up really cheap on Ebay lately. I think they are not too popular because everybody wants those new lightweight power switching sissy amps.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Here's another vote for Crest. I use a Crest CA-9 and I really like it. I also like Crown's Micro-Tech series, and I lust over Crown's Macro-Tech 2402.

-Art

16. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    okay so i'm looking at crown and the ce1000 is rated at 275
    per channel at 8ohm, but at 1100 at 4 ohm bridge? does this mean itll power a 4x10 and a 1x15, since itll give me more than 1000 bridged and 4 ohm. More importantly if i use both
    amps bridged it gives me more power than running them in
    2 seperate channels? This concept just won't click and i know
    it will i just dont fully understand how bridge mode works
    relative to what amps your using. Once i do i can stop asking
    these stupid questions, yes i feel stupid for asking.

17. lucai

lucai

Aug 9, 2004
    San Francisco
    and can i run the 4x10 in bridged mode if im not using another cab and get the full power if bridged mode?

-lucas

18. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Hey Lucai ... In the case of the Xs900 (since you asked about it in the other thread), it runs stereo at 600 watts per channel @8ohm, so considering that the cabs you're looking at are 8ohm, you'd have enough power to run the cabs independently. Doing so would make 600 watts availble to each cabinet. However, if you want to run them together, you could run the amp stereo and just go off one side, or you could run the amp bridged mono. Powering both cabs together'd change the cab impedence to 4 ohm, and if in stereo mode, give you 900 watts from one side of the amp, leaving the other channel available as a backup ... probably more than enough power depending on how loud you're trying to get. Otherwise, you could bridge the amp, which with both cabs together would give you 2500 watts into the 4 ohm load - more than enough power to blow every speaker in both cabs if you got crazy ... you could also run the 410 by itself in bridge mono, but since you'd still be an 8ohm load, the amp would put out "only" 2100 watts ... again, crazy sick power ...

... I run mine bridged into a pair of 8 ohm 410's and it's crazy big ... not so much loud, although it's plenty loud, but it just moves so much air. I have no problems being both heard and felt with 2 guitarists tuned down, both playing through 2 head/2 412 rigs ...

Good luck, and I hope the info helps ...

Tony

19. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Where are these Stewarts available at?