1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggest a set of good low tension flatwound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carlo3874, Jan 25, 2012.

1. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Hello,

Can someone suggest a set of good low tension flatwound strings for my P bass?

Thanks!

carlo3874

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
  3. +1.

4. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    (very) good, (really) low tension, flatwound= TI Jazz Flats
    (for a warm and organic tone)

5. +2, but do be aware that they don't sound like other flats. They have a lot of upper mids.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Yes TI Jazz is a great set but they got really, really expensive. $60 for a set is out of my league.

I subsituted with Ernie Ball Flatwound Group II and I like them just as much.
    Slightly different tone but great strings nevertheless, superb feel and great value.
    For a while I could buy them for a song and dance as GC was discontinuing them.
    I got them at cost, that was pretty sweet. And yes I bought everything I could put my hands on!

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Second lowest tension flat is Sadowsky Black Label. They're considerably less expensive ($42) than T-Is, and a little stiffer, but still play really well. They're full-voiced, and evenly balanced, too.

basspraiser and exidor like this.
  8. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
  9. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    You can use your flatwound strings for ages, so their price may not be as critical as roundwounds. But yes, the TI's are expensive really.

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    They aren't low tension, though. They're better than LaBella's, which are better than Rotosound 77s, but nowhere near as good as Sadowskys, which aren't as good as T-Is. IME, IMO, YMMV, and all that other garbage.

11. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS flats are pretty low in tension ...TI flats will be ridiculously low tension, and about as low as you'll find in a flatwound string. Pyramids are also fairly low tension strings too.

MCS4 likes this.
  12. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you're looking for low tension flatwounds, I recommend any of the following sets from (get ready) lowest to highest tension, low-tension sets:

Thomastik Infeld 43-100
    La Bella FX 39-96
    GHS Precision 45-95
    Ernie Ball Group IV 40-95
    D'Addario Chromes 40-95
    Sadowsky Black Label 40-100
    D'Addario Chromes 40-100
    La Bella 760FL 43-104
    GHS Precision 45-105
    Fender Super Light 40-100
    Rotosound 77 40-100

*Left out other brands due to my unfamiliarity with them. Many apologies to the other flats out there.

Remember that all of these gauges are, for the most part, low tension, with Thomastik Infeld (TI) coming in at an average of 34lbs. while La Bella, GHS, and EB & Chromes come in very close with tensions ranging within the 37-39lbs. Once you break into Sadowsky territory and up, the tension is extremely minor with an average "feeling" of 38-42lbs. of tension. Basically, if you want the lightest of the light, go with TI flats, but if 3-5lbs. of tension is not going to be a significant factor with your playing style, then any of these light to light-medium sets are fine, fine choice. :smug: And as always, select accordingly so that your brand matches your sound, as all strings (let alone flatwounds) are not made equally.

e-flat likes this.
  13. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    stringtheory6 likes this.
  14. I use TI Jazz Flats and GHS Precision Flats in light gauge (.45-.95) because they are a little lighter in tension than the medium set, but do not give up any thump.

15. Glad I found this thread. I recently put some d'addario chromes on my Carvin B5 and am not really digging the tension, or the tone really for that matter. Think I'll be sopping around for some TIs

16. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    I put TI Jazz flats long scale on my Spector Rebop 5 and they fits perfectly.
    And they are not so low tension as someone may imagine.
    I found B strings is higher tension so I can have low action on B compare it to other flats I tried where I must set B string action on high side.
    So now I can have low action on all 5 strings without buzz.

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I would think the light gauge of really any of these would serve you well.

I always suggest the light La Bella 760FX set. Nearly as slinky as the TI Jazz Flats, but much more of a traditional flat sound.

I also like the light Chromes set. The ECB80 40-95 set.

18. carlo3874

carlo3874

Jan 25, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

I couldn't find anywhere cheaper than Bass Strings Online:

Buy Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) Electric Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online.

Be sure to register and include you are a talk bass member in the comments and he will set you up as a vip for special discounts automatically.

20. I agree with this.....these are really nice sounding/feeling and playing. It also is one of the few tapered B strings. Be sure you get the correct length. I once got XL's for my Warwick and they were really too long (had full thickness string wrapping around post.)