1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggest for 5 strings (flat tunning)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jcasaspe, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    Hello

I have an Ibanez SR 505 bass. Very happy with it.

Now, im playing with two bands.
    One of them, tunning all (guitars and bass) with flat on all strings....

So, the "feel" of my strings is not good.

Any suggest for a special brand?, model?, scale?, diameter? tension?

thanks a lot for your help!

Jose!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

You play in one band at A440 and you play in another band in half-step down standard tuning, correct?

With such a minimal change you shouldn't really notice to much change, unless your using super light strings. I would think .45-.100 maybe .5-.110 would cover you just fine.

Honestly it is all subjective, you need to start trying out strings and see what you like. That is how one forms an opinion on their own tone.

3. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Curious about how often and under what circumstances one would play that low B flat?

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I have my second 5 string tuned 1/2 step flat - The low B flat, for me anyway, works best at .130, probably better at .135 depending on the bass.

This my normal go to gauges for standard tuning (BEADG)

Were you mentioning in your post you do not like your current strings? Juststrings.com is a great place to go for many different types of strings. Whatever works on one bass is probably what you should use on the other bass if you want a similar tone.

5. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    Yes, you are correct.

Thanks! Im going to try your suggest.!

6. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    Well, We have (with one band) all tuned 1/2 step down...
    We play covers, so Im practice myself with the original song in standar tune, and with the band only have to tuned flat all the strings and not have to do changes.

thats all :)

(sorry my poor english)

7. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    thanx bro! im going to check that site!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I forgot your using a 5 string. I highly recommend a .130 B string, that is where I find the B is best, it allows you to go up to C if need be (I tune my B up to C instead of my whole bass down to C) or down to Bb if you really need to, although no matter the tension it is an Ibanez the B will always feel more sloppy than the other strings in my experience. Even with DR, my personal fav string.

9. I tune my 5-string basses down a half-step. The Fender has a .130 B and the Warwick has a .125. No problems with either one. In fact, the Warwick has the tighter-sounding low Bb, with the lighter-gauge string. I think that has more to do with the bass being built like a tank, though.
    Because we write a lot around the tuning, I use my open Bb quite a bit. It's a cool note. The only problem is, now I want to go lower so I can approach the open Bb from below!

10. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    I have a Ibanez SR505, with the Elixir Strings that comes with my bass.

Anyone knows what specific model of Elixir Strings came with my bass?

Thankx a lot!

11. jcasaspe

jcasaspe

Mar 14, 2011
    Lima,Peru
    SOS! :)