Suggest strings for a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MadFloyd, Mar 22, 2011.

1. MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Feb 7, 2010
    I have this bass on the way and I'm pretty sure I won't want to use the stock strings.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks in advance.

2. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    For rounds I like DR Lo-Riders on any bass, for flats I like Rotosound. You may like a different tone then I do though in which case you might like a different string more then these. Do you know what kind of tone you are after?

3. Because it's a fretless I'd suggest going with either flatwounds or nylon tapewounds.

Flatwound: GHS Precision Flatwounds. You'll have to trim some of the silk end to make them fit the E post but that's ok to do so. They're great strings and very smooth feeling & sounding.

You'll have to experiment with different brands because flats vary greatly in both tension and tone. I prefer medium tension and more vintage "thump" so I like the GHS flats.

Nylon tapewound: Rotosound Tru Bass 88 strings are flatwound strings wrapped in a black tape. Just be aware that they are a heavier that standard gauge so you may have to widen your nut slots. They are .065 - .075 - .100 -.115!

Other good tapewounds are made by GHS, Fender, and now, D'Addario. These three products are roundwound strings wrapped in tape so you can expect them to be a little brighter sounding. I've tried the GHS and I like them. The GHS & D'Addario strings fit standard nuts. The Fender's are .058 -.072 - .092 - .110.

Hope this helps a little bit.

4. My Sugestions:
    Flats: GHS Precision Flats or TI Jazz Flats
    Tapewounds: GHS Tapes
    Roundwounds: SIT Power Wound Nickels
    Compressed: GHS Pressurewounds
    All the above in Light or medium Light gauges. They just seem to sound better on fretlesses in my opinion.

5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Fender 9050M flats have done it for me on every Fender/Squier bass I have owned.

6. MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Feb 7, 2010
    Thanks for the responses, guys!

7. Everybody above is wrong (joke). You need DR Sunbeams! More MWAHHHH than one of those reality TV chicks after getting drunk and breaking a fingernail.

Seriously, round shape gives you the mwah, and the nickle saves the fretboard. And they have a smooth buttery sound with plenty of mids.

8. +1 on the DR Sunbeams for fretless.

9. i think flats would sounds good

10. I have Rotosounds on mine and I love it.

11. MadFloyd

MadFloyd

Feb 7, 2010
    Which type of Rotosounds?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021