1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions Anyone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PopaWoody, Oct 31, 2010.

1. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have this setup as my first attempt at solo effect pedals.

IMAG0025.

After using multi-effects units, and not really getting the sound I wanted out of my ART Nightbass Studio, I gassed out a tad and picked up a few pedals.

Sounds I am Looking for are a clean overdrive, a smooth fuzz, and the elusive synthesizer type sound.

Path currently = Bass>Tuner>Chorus>Boss Bass Synth>Mastotron>Pork Loin>Swollen Pickle>Pre-Amp SVT 7 Pro

I really like the Delta Lab chorus and it was dirt cheap at $69.

The point of this post is just to collect some input from peers.

What would you add? Why?

How would you route the signal path? Why?

Open to suggestions, trades, ideas. Colllaborate, Share and learn.

Peace

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Dig the collection so far. You're off to a nice start! Muffish and Synthy fuzzes, Synth pedal, nice overdrive, chorus, and tuner. That's a good swiss army knife pedalboard right there.

If it was me I'd set it up as:
    Tuner > PorkLoin > Mastotron > SwollenPickle > Boss SYB > Chorus

-That's only because I like running my Mastotron into my muff-type fuzz, the Blackout Effectors Musket. It gives a much different fuzz tone and doesn't create as much noise as running muff into Mastotron.

-The chorus would be at the end because with my own setup I keep my hardwire CR-7 Chorus at the end after my dirt and envelope filters to add some subtle detune. It makes it sound pretty synthy when the Mastotron is set pretty gated and fed into my chorus.

-The porkloin is after the tuner but before everything just because I haven't experimented with the placement of my own porkloin since I like it where I have it now, basically before everything else but my compressor.

-I don't actually own a dedicated Synth pedal but I use multiple envlope filter pedals and keep them after my dirt to feed the dirt into the envelope filters. Do you combine your Synth and dirt pedals? Placement of the SYB may not matter to you.

-I don't actually own a tuner, but tuner placement in a signal chain wouldn't matter to me and won't matter to me when I finally drop the dough for a tuner pedal.
    The benefit of running the tuner first, for me, would be that I could tune according to my bass' clean tone without having to turn off any other pedals, where as if the tuner is last in the chain and I wanted to tune up I'd have to switch off the other pedals before tuning to tune according to my clean tone, then switch the pedals back on after I finished tuning. I guess since you wouldn't tune during a song this isn't too big a deal, but it's less general tap dancing around the pedalboard to deal with.
    On the other hand, the Mastotron responds pretty differently depending on which pedals, if any, you place between it and your bass. YMMV​

If I had to suggest what to add I'd suggest you look at octave pedals and envelope filter pedals. When combined with dirt and modulation you can get some great synthy bass tones.

The best way to decide on your signal path is to experiment with placement and see what tones do and do not work for and appeal to you. Goodluck!

[/walloftext]

3. OP, if you're using the synth pedal on modes 1-9, then I'd put it before the dirt, since the dirt before will screw up its tracking. However, if you're using modes 10 or 11, then after dirt is fine, since those modes don't actually track anything.