1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggestions for a Wal Bass conundrum!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glassjaw20, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Right now i own one bass and one bass only, a 1990 Wal Mach II five string American Walnut Facings, Mohagany body, and Indian Ebony fretboard. so money is very tight at the moment and i am thinking of selling it. i cant play it live for a couple of reasons, its very heavey and im afraid of damaging it. Not to mention that every session i go to the producer wants a vintage pbass anyway and hates the active pups. this was the bass of my dreams and i love having it around. but for the price i could get two or three basses that i could gig with and session and still have some money left over to pay the bills. i love this bass but its just sitting in my room and not being played. help me out

2. that'd sell in 5 minutes on the classifieds, pay the $20 for a subscription and post it

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I have a motto -- which unfortunately I'm not religious about adhering to, but at least I try to let it guide me:

If I haven't used it in a year, sell it.

No matter how much this Wal was "the bass of [your] dreams" if it's "sitting in [your] room and not being played" there's no point in your keeping it. Or at least, there's no point in your keeping it off the market, where someone for whom it was also the bass of their dreams but who's in less dire economic circumstances could enjoy it.

If you think you'd be happier, work more (or at least as much), and be better off financially by selling the Wal, you shouldn't hesitate for a moment: Sell the Wal. It's probably still a seller's market.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's not a seller's market, sadly. At least from what I've seen, Wal's and other high dollar basses are selling for less than they were a year ago.
    That said, the bass(es) you'd be buying, if you're buying used, will also be less pricey.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Don`t sell. That bass is a keeper and with the amount of money you`d get out of it(it`s not a sellers market after all!) you`d be cutting yourself very short. Say you sold it - how many months of rent would you get out of it? 2? Maybe 3? You can get that much money just by doing odd jobs around town.

I`d keep the bass until you can actually make some real money out of it, but that`s just my opinion.

6. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I also say "don't sell."

I have four Wals and obviously don't use them all, all the time, but I have determined that they are so unique in their respective Walness, and may never be able to be replaced for one reason or another, that it is better to bite-the-bullet and keep them.

How about just financing a good all-around bass? Say a 5-string Jazz or Musicman? You could get one for less than $1,000 used or even new. You'd be set and you could keep your dream-bass. Or if you want to stay with a boutique bass that would still work with the producers/engineers, speak with Chris Stambaugh about a 24-fret Jazz from him. I have one I purchased from Marcus Willet that is passive and I think is a great option to have the Fender-vibe and etc. I think his pricing is less than $2,000.