suggestions for fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TechDeath, Apr 4, 2014.

1. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    recently my buddy let me borrow his homemade fretless 5 string with a MEC bridge pickup and a carvin pickup. haven't had it long enough where I can exactly tell which kind of tone I'm looking for but I really LOVE the tones I get on the higher strings. not really sure what I think about the lows, which are crucial for what I play, they're really muddy but I don't want to put steels on and change the sound too much. I need something with a decent amount of attack. any suggestions help! thanks in advance

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What are on it now? Flatwounds? Do you want to switch to a brighter flatwound?

3. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    honestly he doesn't know he bought it from his teacher and I don't think he's ever changed them.. from what I can tell they're steel round wounds

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    By the higher strings, do you mean the D and G? And the E and A are muddy? What kind of bass is it? Have you tried adjusting the pickup height to where all 4 strings have even output?

5. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    yea the D and G is that I meant by higher strings and the only muddy string is the B string. I'm just starting to think it's just the worn out string. and the pickups look to be pretty even already

6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    DR Sunbeams are my string of choice for my fretless. They are nickel roundwounds but won't mess up your board and they sound both bright and warm.

7. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Chromes.......:bassist:

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    Dead strings could be the cause of what the OP experiences. It can also be caused by a large difference in tension. Some sets have pretty tight G, D and A strings with rather ploppy E and B strings. On my BEAD tuned Ibby I use Ernie Ball flatwounds which are very similar (if not equal) to D'addario Chromes. The EB's can be bought as singles, so a balanced set can be composed. 40, 55, 75, 100, 130 is what I'd advise for a five stringer.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021