Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Realist

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kwd, Mar 21, 2004.

1. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I use a Realist and I've found it to be great for low volume situations. When the situation calls for more volume I get complaints from the ensemble members that they can't hear me, even after I turn up to just below the feedback threshold and adjust the tone controls. I suspect this is due to the low end bias of the Realist. That is, there aren't enough highs to cut through, but there's plenty of low end to introduce feedback.

From reading threads I know the most popular alternative is the Fishman Full Circle. I don't think that's an option for me because I recently replaced my 1/4" bridge adjusters with 5/16" as one of the taps had become stripped. I assume that the Full Circle installation assumes your bridge can accept 1/4" adjusters.

One alternative is installing an Underwood and using that or The Realist for different volume requirements or blending the Realist and the Underwood's signals. The other alternative is to rescue the Realist by adding an EQ. Can anybody comment on the merits and/or disadvantages of these options?

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Not exactly what you asked about, but thread inserts, available at auto supply stores, may work on your bridge to bring the size back to 1/4". That way you could have a Fishman installed. I've had no experience with Realist pickups, but the new Fishman works well.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Turn the bass knob down, put the cabinet on a chair, put some distance between you and the cabinet, deaden the 'after string' (between the bridge and the tailpiece). Tie a bicycle innertube around your bass (for very extreme conditions -- more mentioned for the wry grin than anyhting else) or fill the bass with that styrofoam 'Ghost Poop', available at any office supply store (still on the humorous bent).

Try any of the above individually. If none of the ideas help individually then mix and match.

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    having a real tight fit on the realist can do wonders for letting you turn up a little more, too. The piezo buttons inside the realist can sometimes make your bridge foot on that side not fit well, and this can cause some feedback problems. If you can wiggle that bridge foot with your hand, it doesn't fit very well, and you might want to get this fixed by a luthier or by wrapping a little white plumbing tape around the foot. I have noticed on my students with a bass that has a higher-gloss finish, like your christopher.

got any ideas? rough up the top under the bridge foot? Rosin the top under the bridge foot would be better, or that white tape.Also, you might want to experiment about where you stand in relation to the amp, or where your band members are in relation to the amp. I like the chair idea, and getting it off to the side helps, plus the chair gets it up closer to everyone's ears.

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    JonB, Ray Parker, Alex Scott,

Thank you for the posts. They've been informative and helpful.

-kwd