1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions on my pedal chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by abalders, May 1, 2010.

1. abalders

abalders

Nov 22, 2007
    los angeles
    howdy bassers

after playing bass for 12 years, a couple gigs've come up that rely fairly heavily on bass effects. over the 12 years i've accumulated a number of pedals, but i'm pretty overwhelmed with the options that're available. here's what i'm working with for now and i'm in no way stuck on anything.

eh bass microsynth
    line 6 fm-4
    sansamp bass driver
    mxr 10 band eq
    team awesome fuzz machine
    boss oc-3
    boss tuner

any advice on a chain order would be greatly appreciated. here's what's on my mind at the moment - the sansamp bass driver's parallel output, running some effects through the amp and some through the effects loop, a/b switches, how exactly to use the sansamp (compression, eq, boost, distortion, geez) i dunno. i'm pretty overwhelmed by all of the options. i know i should try out as many as possible, and i have been, but ANY input would be greatly appreciated. thanks masters.

2. That's tricky. There's a lot of semi-redundant stuff on that board.

Still, I would run (if I had to use all of them), Tuner> OC-3> BMS> FM-4> Fuzz> EQ> BDDI> amp.

It is hard to say because each of these is pretty sensitive to what comes before it. I don't know how the BMS would react to some of the stuff in the FM-4 and vice versa.

Good Luck.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, and otherwise, expiriment away. You never know what's gonna sound best. Only rule of thumb that's not gonna change, stuff like the OC-2 NEED to be pretty much at the beginning, for tracking. Everything else is just personal taste.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My priorities for pedal order will be different from yours, but I generally try and put mine in a rough order of: Octave, gain, filter, modulation, delay, boost/DI.

For your setup I'd do something like this:

bass
    boss tuner
    boss oc-3
    eh bass microsynth
    team awesome fuzz machine
    line 6 fm-4
    mxr 10 band eq
    sansamp bass driver
    amp

I prefer my octaves fuzzed and my fuzzed octaves filtered more than my fuzz octaved, and my filters octaved and fuzzed.

I put the Sansamp at the end of your chain under the presumption that you're using it as a DI primarily and want your effected signal sent to FOH. If you're using it primarily for gain and not DI, I'd stick it before your filter.

5. Bassman817

Bassman817

Dec 5, 2009
    actually, over the years, I've learned that if you put the fuzz directly after the tuner and before any modulation, it makes the best sound with both on because the fuzz goes through the modulation instead of the modulation through the fuzz.