Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    First of all, i'm sorry for posting here, i'm kind of new to the Double Bass section, and i don't know where to post this.

But i've been playing bass for 2 years, and recently switched to EUB and i've been catching quickly. I have the "hook" pretty much down, and my intonation is better.

Well, I've been working on walking bass lines, and I was wondering if anybody has any sheet music avaliable I can print out and learn, nice easy stuff preferably. I need to work on my note reading to. Anything would be great, classical, Motown, anything that will help my skills.

Thanks alot!'

2. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    You might check out "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" by Allan Slutsky. It has a couple dozen of James Jamerson's basslines to Motown tunes written out and comes with a CD of simple arrangements of the tunes.
    If you're working on walking lines, why not take them off records, using your ears? It's free! Start with Paul Chambers, Sam Jones, Leroy Vinnegar...Leroy is a particularly valuable resource, as his solos consist mostly of walking lines.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Welcome aboard, Mark.
    I suggest you take a few minutes and fill in your public profile. (see the My Talkbass link above)
    Jamie Aebersold's play-a-longs are great stuff.
    They have an area for bassists:
    Some of these titles are actually bass lines transcribed from some play-a-long albums.