1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 200s problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alebeaum, Oct 16, 2013.

1. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    When I turn the volume up to 8, the amp start to oscillate, I think this is the right term. Weird noise same thing with the bass unpluged.
    Does anybody input to resolve the problem.
    I have good experience with high voltage and automatisation but, in audio electronic my knowledge is limited.

THX
    alex

2. Easiest thing to do is first try a new 6AN8. Grid leakage in the pentode section can setup oscillation.

3. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    yes, This is the thing that make most sense to me, Since volume is just in front of the 6AN8 stage. I ordered a tube on ebay. Just waiting for it... Any other ideas?

4. Lots. If the power supply caps have not been replaced in the last 20 years (including the bias supply cap) it could be motorboating. Does it have the tube rectifier or SS diodes?

5. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    the amp had a cap job in 2001 and the tube rectifier was replaced by SS rectifier. The tubes are old. The oscillation start when I put the volume on loud (8 or more) or when I run my tone stack at 10 with a little bit less volume (6,5),

this is a new amp So I don't have any info about that. All the caps seems great and the rectifier seems to work fine. But if the diodes rectifers were not working fine, the amp should not work at all???

(sorry if my english is weird a little btw)

6. The SS rectifier eliminates a weak tube rectifier. When you say "tone stack" which controls, Bass, Treble, low boost/hi boost switches? I'm still leaning on the 6AN8 as it also has the negative feedback on the pentode section.

7. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    yes for the tone stack... I'm gonna change the 6an8.. Maybe I have a friend with one, So I can check it asap. They are unusual tube, this is the first time I see this tube

8. 6AN8 although work pretty well in audio were used more in TV applications. The pentode allows a high gain driver stage and the triode a typical phase inverter. Very few used in audio.

If a different 6AN8 does not solve it, next check the 1Mohm resistor from pin #8 on the tube socket. It should be between 900K ohms and 1.1M ohms.

9. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    The 1Mohm resistor is OK. Still waiting for the tube

10. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    you run the treble and bass at 10 both?
    may i ask what cab you are using. i know this is unrelated but i also have a sunn 200s and very interested

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    When its working to spec, volume on 8 should give you some serious Grand Funk Railroad/Mountain tone. :)

12. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    NO i dont use it on 10. This is only test I've made to give more information for the troubleshooting :) ...

13. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    I use 15'' EV speaker in a vintage Peavey Cab for the moment

14. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
  15. Those are (along with the cap) the negative feedback loop. If they were lower than 900 ohms and 612 ohms good find.

16. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    ::::Though much more accurate, amplifiers with negative feedback can become unstable if not designed correctly, causing them to oscillate.::::

wiki

17. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    so what are your amp settings use are using? i also am looking to run my 200s through a peavey 2x15

18. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    My plan (for bass 'cause the 200s seems to sound great on guitar too) , when my 200s will be fully fonctionnal ( it's a new amp I barely tried it, just want to make sure everything is ok before) is to use my other cab, a vintage EV (yes again a EV) 2x15 with upgraded speakers : One 15'' goes to my 200s and the other 15'' will goes to my mid 70's; peavey century 120.
    One run dirty (200s probably) and the other: big clean headroom.

My components are ordered, I just have to wait and replace the bad resistors.

19. alebeaum

alebeaum

Oct 16, 2013
    Ok, so I changed the resistors and what I notice is they were ok as soon as I take it out from the circuits, this is probably the transformer who false my reading at the time.
    I also changed the 6an8 tube, for a short time it was looking find but, no.. it oscillates again. Any other ideas?

20. I know you said it had a cap job....but I still suspect the power supply filter caps. The cap job was done over 12 years ago, and depending on what brand of caps used they could already be at the end of their life span. Especially if they used the lower voltage cap can to recap. Voltages in a 200s can be higher than the 525V that most of the replacement cap cans are rated at. There is a 600V cap can available that is a better fit for the 200s.