Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sunn Coliseum-300 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Jan 18, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I recently purchased a Sunn Coliseum 300 and I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting it up.

It is rated at 300watts @ 2Ohms. What would my output be if I hooked my 8Ohm Avatar cab up to it? I have a 4Ohm 1x15 as well. Would it be better if I had both of them hoomed up to the amp at all times or would one or the other be fine?

Thanks

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i actually own a collesium lead head. mine is the guitar version. it's a pretty decent head and will do bass ok. i would run both cabs, but i imagine it would put out at least 100 watts into the 8 ohm cab by itself. years ago i ran it into 2 pa cabs as a cheap bass rig. it actually sounded pretty good.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think its about 160-200 watts. I've run mine with a 8 and a 4, worked well, but I felt uneasy about the unbalanced load.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Being a solid state amplifier, you can run any load impedance on it that you want, as longs as it's 2 ohms or greater.

If the ratings for Sunn amps are anything like Acoustics, it should be plenty powerful/loud with an 8 ohm load on it.

Try your cabinets one at a time and then both together and then decide what sounds best.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I was also worried about the unbalanced load so I'll have to do some testing when it comes in the mail.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm thinking that the load should be around 2.6(or so) ohms. I just guessing, though.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea mixing the 8 and 4 Ohm cabs will make 2.6 which is fine for the head...It will be loud as hell with those cabs together....