1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1. mchristiano92

mchristiano92

Mar 25, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Sup from Wisconsin,
    Hey I'm new. I found this through another forum and thought sure i'd sign up. Since I'm here i might as well ask. I am new to bass i started in about september and i picked up a bass magazine. I looked in the lessons section and it had the tabs and on the string instead of a fret number it was an X and i have no clue. Please help.:confused:

2. This is something that my old instructor called a "rhythm click," though I think the proper name is "ghost note" (?). If I'm wrong on the name, I hope someone will correct me.

Anyway, the x tells you that you should play that string at that time but without without letting a note ring out. It needs to be muted. Usually leaving your finger on the string without pressing down hard enough to fret a note is sufficient to accomplish the muting. Sometimes this will cause harmonics (they will sound like high notes), in which case you need to mute in a different spot or rest more than one finger on the string. This should be pretty simple, but let me know if you are confused at all.

I should also say welcome to Talkbass/congratulations on picking such a wonderful instrument. There is a subforum in the bass guitar forum devoted to technique, and this topic has probably been discussed there before.

3. mchristiano92

mchristiano92

Mar 25, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Thanks. I can start practicing some new stuff now. Your last name rings a bell. Do you know someone named Keith Scanlan?

4. Sorry, don't know a Keith. My family's pretty small, and I have never actually met a Scanlan that wasn't closely related to me. Although a Tim Scanlan produces the show Smallville, I think.