Super dead D in DR Coated Neon orange

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tim Skaggs, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I've been playing bass a very, very long time. I've either bought or received as a field tester, many dozens of sets of strings for a few dozen different basses.

I recently bought a set of DR Coated Neon strings with left over funds on an Amazon gift card. I didn't really need any strings, I just wanted the orange to go on a black Gibson T- Bird for appearance purposes. I needed strings on a P-bass for a short notice gig, so I put them on, & then the gig fell through, so they've been on the Pbass for maybe a month with about 1/2 hour playing time getting the setup dialed-in and just jamming a bit to get used to the feel. They sounded great and felt a little "grippy" on my fingertips, but overall, OK. These are by no means the first coated strings I've played, but they are the first DR's.

I get the bass out of the case yesterday, and the "D" string has gone totally dead. It actually sounds like a flatwound. The E, A, & G still sound great with a bright piano-string-like tone, but the D is absolutely dead. It feels and sounds like I have foam stuffed under the string at the bridge. I de-tuned the string to make sure I didn't get it twisted during installation. All seemed ok, no apparent twist, or other anomaly caused by installation. It's just totally DEAD.

Anyone have experience with DR Coated Neons (all or any strings) going dead after installation?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Please send me a direct message and I'll get you sorted.

BrentSimons and jfh2112 like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have not had the experience: DR black coated (on an active PJ) and DR red neon coated (on an active J), one set of each, both still viable after about one year: on basses that get some play but are not my gigging instruments. sorry you're having the experience you describe. those two DR sets have been very reliable = the opposite of your issue.

i do get a dead (actually: a soon to be dead) string in a set of any string type every few years or so. i consider it to be par for the course, but it's disappointing when it's for 'the gig'. except for the DR's i mentioned, i'm usually buying multiple sets at the same time. not a problem then to switch out the offending string.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Most important thing to do is follow the round core installation instructions on the inside of the box.

Shoot me a direct message either way and I'll get you sorted.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

^ --- and i'm sure that those instructions/techniques work. i'm usually not cutting the string, however = winding all of the excess.

may want to check this thread: String wrap opinion :thumbsup:

6. SevenReasons

SevenReasons

Nov 18, 2005
    Alberta
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Guitars, Ashdown Amps
    Same just happened to me and my G sounds like a flat wound. I'm assuming I just got a lemon because I've used these before and they sound great. I hope so anyway because I just landed in Europe and only brought 3 sets of strings and one set is now shot. Have to try another pack and see. I'll report back.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it happens, and it happens more often with round-core strings like DRs.

the wrap comes loose from the core wire and the string goes from sounding like "diinng!" to sounding like "dffft".

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2022