1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super Jazz Bass Jammin'!! WOW!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GregBass1979, Sep 5, 2008.

1. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
  2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    wow! enjoyed it thoroughly!

thanks for the share...

3. rhix

rhix

May 14, 2007
    Wow, talk about a Jaco clone haha! Seriously, Bireli is freakin' smokin' here. He played those Jaco licks just as Jaco would've played em', In fact I sit here listening to it as I type I could swear I'm listenin' to Jaco. Bireli Lagrene is just a phenomenal musician it seems on which ever instrument he plays, it seems the Jaco tutelage helped him a little on the bass. Whoa.

4. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    This is pretty awesome. :oops:

5. Gotta love a piece that puts you in the groove as soon as it starts.
    Very nice.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice. Really good player. Is that a defretted neck with inlays? Can't say I've ever seen a fretless with inlays before.

Wait......is he a guitarist or a bassist?? Seems he's both! There's a bunch of vids of him playing guitar.

7. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Very nice playing, to be sure ... but for some reason I am uncomfortable with such Jaco-apeing, in the same way as I feel uncomfortable listening to guitarists that sound remarkably like SRV. Obviously this guy is a very talented musician, but I can't help thinking - thousands of hours spent on practice to sound very much like someone else?!?! I mean, Jaco's son plays bass too and sounds a bit like his Dad, but has his own 'voice' going on.

It's hard to put my finger on the exact qualities involved here....:help:

8. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice video indeed, thanks!

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Look up Richard Sinclair from Hatfield And The North.

10. hungrych

hungrych

Aug 2, 2006
    NJ
    He's actually guitarist who, as a child prodigy, started out playing gypsy-jazz in the style of Django Reinhardt, and then branched out from there: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:difexqt5ldte~T0

11. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    woo!

Come on, come over!

12. Is that Birelli on bass or guitar?

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Birelli is playing bass.

An interesting tidbit isthat Jaco and him collaborated in the 80s a lot and Jaco gave him bass lessons.

That bass he is playing was a gift. I can't remember if it was Jaco or Jerry Jemmott who gave it to him.

Jaco's first electric was a 68 Jazz with a rosewood neck and block inlays with the pickguard taken off to look like his hero's bass, Jerry Jemmott.

14. that is nothing short of PHENOMINAL!

it's Jaco the way I would have loved to hear Jaco sound...(Jaco with a decent tone :) )

and that sax player, he flat out smokes!