1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Super low output after EMG GZR solderless install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J0hn, Dec 5, 2017.

1. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I just installed this set into a new P bass body (unshielded) and it's producing a ton of buzz when not touching any metal, but the biggest problem of all is the output. It's total crap. The volume pot seemingly does nothing until 80-90%. At 100% the output is about half that (comparing by ear) of my stock Squier P bass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Getting ready to say screw it any buy a whole new set.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The first thing with the EMG solderless system is to meticulously check every connection and make sure all the connectors are pushed on all the way and not reversed.

J0hn likes this.
  3. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I have made sure everything is ok in that regard. I’ve pulled it all apart and put it back together so many times I’m starting to strip bolts.

Could what I used to raise them be affecting this in any way? It was a fresh body and I didn’t have springs so I just used some thin layers of double sided tape to position them before screwing them down.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. So did you sue their output jack or the one that came with your bass?

And of course you grounded your bridge ground wire as per instructions right?

That little thingy they give you to compositely connect ground wires is sort of dorky imo...but it works if you get it right.

5. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    It was a brand new replacement body from fender so I used the entire emg set. Bought a ground wire to feed from under bridge to the EMG clip so the ground shouldn’t be the issue.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Double-sided tape?? That could be a problem. How far from the strings are the polepieces?

7. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I had them up to 3 mm and output was still the same.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    3mm should be fine.

9. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Try to eliminate things to see if you can find the problem. For example, connect the pickup directly to the jack without the tone and volume controls. In the instructions http://www.emgpickups.com/media/productfile/g/z/gzr_phz_instructions230-0282rd.pdf
    page 2 at the bottom, it looks like the output cable could be connected directly to the pickup. If that works, then you know the issue is with the vol or tone pots or wiring between them. If that doesn't work, it is down to the PU, jack or wiring between them.

If the output cable is too short, don't mount the jack. Actually all of this testing can be done without mounting any components on the body. You can hold the pickup over the strings for testing purposes.

Judging from the pickup wiring on the top of page 2, it looks like you could even test each half separately.

10. Do you have the right value pots?

11. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    I reached out to EMG and they’re sending me a replacement Pot. I sent them pics and he thinks I just have a bum volume Pot. Thanks for the help.

rwkeating and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    I had the same problem. Reverse the connections on the input jack and see if it corrects the issue.

J0hn likes this.
  13. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    After putting in the new volume pot they sent me it’s working just fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

rwkeating and ctmullins like this.
  14. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    :thumbsup:

J0hn likes this.