Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Super Sensitive Pinnacle/Supreme

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by winston, Nov 5, 2003.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've done searches on Super Sensitive strings and all I've been able to find is info on the lovely Red Label placeholder strings often found on student cheapies and rentals.

Anybody have experience with their higher-end strings, particularly the Pinnacles or Supremes? There was a string comparison in the ISB journal a couple years ago that gave a good review to the Pinnacles.

I'm looking to swap out the medium Spirocores on my New Standard Cleveland for better arco tone/feel and am leaning towards Corelli 370s or Obligatos. I'm mostly playing jazz. Latin, pop, and (a little) bluegrass and I don't mind losing some pizz punch for a sweeter arco tone.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I can't comment on their arco playability but:
    The Supremes are very good strings, warmer than Spirocores, also have a nice sustain.
    Pinnacles are thinner/brighter sounding than Supremes, but also very good quality.
    At least one of the Supremes endorser is a symphonic bassist.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    With names like Keter Betts and Eugene Levinson being trumpetted by Super Sensitive, I'm suprised they aren't seen on basses more often.

I wouldn't mind being confused with those guys at all.

My teacher has a bass strung with Pinnacles, and he sounds great.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I think they suffer because they are most associated with their Red Labels, some of the worst strings ever made. I know it made me reluctant to try them.

I played some of their Sensicore once, and they really sounded like gut. I've heard lots of stuff about them not lasting very long, which would make them a lot like Obligatos except for more $$.

Monte