1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Supermoto ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is something that I had no idea existed until I got back into bikes seriously this year. I kept seeing what looks like dirt bikes with super tiny wheels, and wondered what the advantage of such a set up was? I finally just did a search for Super Moto, and found out it was a style racing that had its origins on the old ABC show, The Wide World of a Sports. It seems it’s a bit bigger in Europe than here. I am old, but I would like to try it out at a leisurely just for fun.

Gaolee and saltydude like this.
  2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    I’m buying a KTM exc-f 500 very soon. Just missed one last week all set up. Totally pumped.

DirtDog and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That’s cool! Too bad KTM is so expensive.

saltydude likes this.
  4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    I know, I’m getting a little old for it too but I gotta do it now. :)

I like it better than the Husky 701.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I read that KTM owns Husqvarna, I guess the advantage of the Husky is that it is street legal.

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Exc-f is totally street legal in 50 states. The Husqvarna has a rear mounted gas tank.

My dream is a Supermoto conversion bike built on a Honda CRF AL frame with a CR 500 two stroke motor But unfortunately I live in Massachusetts and it’s nearly impossible here.

I’m considering attempting it in the future with the KTM frame.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess getting a used Japanese dual sport and fitting it with Supermoto wheels and tires might work.

Goatrope likes this.
  8. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    If the frames original designation allowed for street use no problems. If it wasn’t it can be converted legally by installing the proper equipment and having the proper authorities inspect and sign off on it. In my case it’s the RMV department of environmental safety and compliance representative. There’s also certain loopholes state to state. All depends on where you live.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Suzuki makes a DRZ 400 in supermotard trim. Or did. I assume they still do. My intro to motard racing was on a 1991 Husky 610 that I got in trade for a GSXR race bike that hated me. I hated that race bike, too. We tried to kill each other on a regular basis, but neither was successful, so the motard trade was a godsend. I hadn't been on a dirt bike in 25 years, and a '90s Husqvarna 610 is an absolute beast. This one was street legal, somehow. Kick start only, no turn signals, no speedo, no side stand. No battery - just a magneto. Fast doesn't even begin to describe it. It had been built with a desert sled motor, and I assume somebody had used it for some kind of racing at some point. When I got it, the magneto stator was dying, which meant that as the bike heated up, it would slowly lose power and would eventually stop working. I didn't know this, but even so, it was a good trade for the GSXR.

Fast forward about two weeks. A friend mentioned that since I had a motard now, I should go racing. It's essentially motocross on slicks. Some is on asphalt, but a lot is on the dirt. Being an idiot, I said "sure, why not!" Having not been on a dirt bike for 25 years, and having raced sport bikes on asphalt meant that I had no idea how to deal with dirt bike riding technique, had not encountered things like modern table tops, modern whoops, or anything like that. Plus, I didn't know whether the bike was going to make gobs of power or just quit when I opened the throttle. What could possibly go wrong? I crashed a lot, to say the least, and caught a lot of grief from my friends who were appropriately merciless in pointing out how completely incompetent I was. It was an absolute blast. Unfortunately, the magneto on that bike completely quit shortly thereafter, and I haven't been able to put it back together again. That was about ten years ago. A 1991 Husqvarna is made of pure unobtanium these days. Oh, well. I don't have enough time to do it now, but it sure was fun for one day.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    DirtDog, saltydude and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    It’s coming........:hyper: soon

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    EA60C37D-FBC2-4388-94C0-67B5866CC408. I noticed that my Triumph Tiger has wheels that are Supermoto size.

saltydude likes this.
  12. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Since I saw ice-speedway on tv as a kid, I thought it was very cool.
    Also a quite specialized segment of motorsport.

saltydude likes this.
  13. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Bet it handles well. That seat looks super comfy too.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes and yes!

15. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Well here she is. This has been quite the journey but it’s finally over. It’s built!! A82B2869-6D0E-4EA9-84BE-98FEF8EC7462. It’s ready to rip. It’s got everything I wanted and then some. Bring on Spring cause I’m ready to Supermoto!!!!!

Attached Files:

Matt Liebenau likes this.