Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surface under Mesa Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waxcomb, Sep 19, 2004.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I have a Mesa Scout and I notice that it gets a little boomy when placed on carpet. It is much tighter on wood or cement. I was wondering if I could put some wood, tile or something underneath it to take advantage of the passive radiator while playing on carpet or dirt? I'm thinking of either plywood, a cutting board or some tiles. Any thoughts?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds like a workable idea
    this looks like a question for mr mesa - benjamin strange

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Scout and a friend of mine who is a sound engineer said the same thing. He said I should make a board like a Gramma pad except NOT carpet but a smooth hard surface. I haven't gotten around to it yet, if you do let me know how it works.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Some Gramma foam feet under a smooth surfaced platform... I'm getting ideas. Now I just need to figure out what materials to use. I'll report my findings. What other materials work like Gramma pad foam? I know you can buy that foam by itself, but will it support the weight of the amp? (50 lbs) What about rubber feet or some type of wooden legs?

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There's a document on the Crown website regarding PZM mikes, and constructing reflective/or absorptive surfaces. Plexiglas has the qualities you're looking for, I think. One hinged piece would probably get you there. Carpet really screws up the sound of PZMs, in any case.

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I tried a Gramma pad and it KILLED the Scout. Afterwards I thought "no duh" downward firing radiator + sound killing foam = dead sounding Scout.

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    What about a glass or plexiglass sheet placed on top of the Gramma? Then set the Scout on that.

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I bought a glass cutting board to put under the Scout to help reflect the passive radiator. I'll give a report of how it works after Tuesday practice.

9. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Great! My wife is going to get a piece of countertop material for me to try under mine. It is a thin hard piece and should reflect well. Keep me posted and I will do the same.

10. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I just got back from practice and have to say that the glass helped tighten up the sound and cut down on the mud. I tried to A/B it and it sounded less boomy than when it was sitting on the carpet. I used a glass cutting board from Wal Mart. This will be helpful in our small practice room because it can get muddy pretty quickly in there. I will be using it for gigs when the stage is carpet or dirt.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've played a Scout a few times at open mikes, and the owner always had it up on a barstool. You might like that, it still had plenty of bottom end for my taste.