Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surprise use for a Euphonic Audio CXL112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DaveB, Oct 1, 2004.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    When I bought my two CXL112s I certainly was paying attention to the "studio monitor" accuracy claims (important since my primary motivation was for upright).Anyway, last week my Jazz trio (upright,guitar,drums) got a new small club gig, but we were warned that the bandstand was SUPER small and the least possible amount of gear was mandatory.

So, armed with this info I decided leave my normal rig at home (iamp800 and one CXL112) and take our small PA head,my Fishman Platinum Bass EQ, and one CXL112. I ran the bass through the Fishman, the PA and the CXL112. No surprise there. The Bass sounded great. But here's the surprise. We also ran the vocal mic through it as well. The CXL112 was absolutely stellar as a low volume vocal PA cab. We'll be doing this regularly in rooms bigger than that one. I'll just bring both CXL112s. We didn't miss our usual PA mains one little bit. Go figure.

2. Very nice! That story just furthers an impression I have held for some time: the CXL 112 truly is one fine piece of gear. Mine is so great and so flexible, my poor Berg 112 hasn't seen daylight in months.

3. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    During our rehearsal I usually bring my little 4-track recorder and have most of our songs with me.
    When we want to revisit a song I normally just play it through the stereo in of the iAMP800 through my CXL112 and the 15" EV.
    Sounds really good.

However, for normal music reproduction I still prefer my Tannoy monitors.
    But the bass sounds better through the CXL112 than through my studio monitors!

Wolfram

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Before I used some of my EA cabs for PA use, I e-mailed John Dong and asked him if he thought it would be okay. He replied that they were in fact designed to handle full range signals and were perfectly suited for PA use. He also said that a number of players use them for both bass and PA use. Since then, I have used my EA cabs (mostly VL-series stuff) for main PA as well as monitors, and they work extremely well. VL-110's make for some of the best monitors I have ever used!

Take care, Tom.