1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 2 pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robbob11111, Mar 13, 2008.

1. robbob11111

robbob11111

Mar 3, 2008
    Does anyone have or know where to get a layout of the tubes for an ampeg svt 2 pro with how the power tubes are matched and what each preamp tube does?
    Thanks....

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
  3. robbob11111

robbob11111

Mar 3, 2008
    I have already read through the manual. I am looking for something more like out of the 5 12ax7s which one is in the driver section and which 4 are in the preamp and out of the preamp tubes v1-v5 does one have more control over the tone of the amp, or the EQ, effects loop etc....

4. I think the driver and preamp tubes are in two seperate lines (if you take the top of the amp off, you'd see what i mean) tho i cant be 100% sure, i just know thats the case with the older SVT-II.

For reference:
    P1010018.

You can see the preamp tubes are the 3 near the front, whereas the driver tubes are the 3 nearer the power tubes. Im pretty sure in the SVT-2 pro they are separated similarly.

Generally V1 (closest to the input jack) will have the most impact on the tone of the preamp section.

5. simojam

simojam

May 22, 2013
    Turin, Italy
    Hi Guys!I have a question for you. Last day I was playing my svt 2 pro and I understood that I really like the clean sound of this head, the problem is that I am also in love with the distortion sound of this monster. I found a level of gain that let me to change from clean to really distorted only by turning the drive knob. Do you think that's possible to put the circuit of the drive into the footswitch replacing the eq switch? i would like to have the footswitch in this way, switch off= drive at 0; switch on= depends on my setting of the drive. Other ideas or possibilities?!
    Simone

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  6. ThroatyGrowl

ThroatyGrowl

Oct 8, 2015
    Yes, buy a Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 ;-)

7. simojam

simojam

May 22, 2013
    Turin, Italy
    I have one GK yet! The rb700 ti be precise ;) but i would like to have an answer that let me continue to use my svt

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't think anybody but an amp tech is going to be able to answer that, and I'd suspect the answer is no.

9. ThroatyGrowl

ThroatyGrowl

Oct 8, 2015
    I'm not trying to talk you out of Ampeg, it's just that specific GK amp has a very nice and tubey sound to it and actually has a channel switch so it would do what you want it to ;) Just dropping ideas here because I don't think you would be able to rewire the SVT 2 Pro to do what you want it to because it has a circuit board and those can barely ever be altered.

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ^^^ Yet the GK sounds nothing like an SVT. Nice amp, but not really a replacement IMO.

Why not grab an OD pedal?

11. ThroatyGrowl

ThroatyGrowl

Oct 8, 2015
    Turn down the Treble, bump the Hi Mids and no one will be able to tell in the mix. That's the great thing about bass amps, they all sound the "same" FOH ;-)

bassomane likes this.
  12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I definitely don't agree there. They might sound like "bass" to the audience but they all sound different to me and that's what matters. Take some pride in the music you make.

13. Taking pride in the music you make means being biased more to what your audience hears than what is blowing at your back on stage. Caring more about what sound better to you on stage is not pride.

The answer to making the drive control foot switchable is no. Sorry.

bassomane and ThroatyGrowl like this.
  14. Anything is possible.

I recommend you start your own thread with an appropriate title. Might get more of the right kind of attention.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    bah...not even close to true with Ampeg vs GK.

Tim1 likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Most of us consider that taking pride in both onstage and FOH.

kap'n kro likes this.
  17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So if the audience really doesn't care (the usual argument round here) and it sounds good enough for them, it must be good enough for me? I don't think so.
    What my audience hears is great bass tone...and what I hear also happens to be great bass tone. I doesn't need to be one sided.

Go play a gig where you think your tone really sucks. Is it fun? I didn't think so...

18. I've had to sacrifice my on stage tone many times because of the venue. If you are a musician, it comes with profession. I suppose these days IF you have venues with good FOH, your only worry is messing with the FOH engineers. We only have one venue with a system at all around here.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's a far cry from switching to an amp you don't like because your sound allegedly doesn't matter. And why even show up if you think what you do doesn't matter? You're only taking up space.

20. Confused? Who is talking about switch to an amp you don't like? If what the audience hears is more important to someone than what they have to hear on stage how is that "doesn't matter"?

OH I SEE, someone mentioned another amp brand in an Ampeg thread.

I could sit down with schematics and layout tube functions for the OP, but I no longer have the interest. Someone else is sure to help.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015