1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Svt 3pro slays

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NorthernGoliath, Aug 16, 2019.

1. NorthernGoliath

NorthernGoliath

Jan 23, 2019
    So I see all of this talk about the svt 3 pro being under powered. Is this coming from people running it at 8 ohms? I run mine through an American made ampeg 610hlf (4ohm) and it slays. I don't have the factory tubes in it anymore, I've upgraded to jj's but still with the factory tubes this thing was LOUD. I've been told to turn down even with the master set low in bands with guitarists running full Marshall, Mesa, and orange stacks. I just don't get it. I like the tone of the 3pro more than the 4pro and I've never needed 1 more watt than the 3 pro gives me. Am I a lucky duck or is everyone else doing something wrong?

2. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I had one a dozen years ago, it was indeed sweet, I miss it. I went to the 4 pro (still have it, though not currently used for gigs) and I agree the 3 pro is something to behold :thumbsup::)

NorthernGoliath likes this.
  3. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    I think people are unaware of how to get power out of it. One of the keys is to have the graphic EQ engaged, even set flat, and use the level (gain) slider for added volume.
    I've never had power issues with the 3-Pro.

4. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Both the 3 and 4 pro don't reveal their "power" until the gain is "up there", then it's like "wow, oh yea!" ,hehe :laugh::thumbsup:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right! Crank that gain till you start to hear distortion, then back off it till it goes away (or crank it even more if you like it), and ignore the light altogether.

6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I've had two over the years. Never a volume problem. The right cab makes a difference--and the EQ for a little extra--which I never needed. Given the right cab and assuming you aren't playing a stadium, if it's not loud enough others are playing like 14 yr olds in a loud competition and need to turn down. Loud is not a tone. Rant over. I think likely the best head that's not all tube. Most tubes you can get in a non full tube head as far as I know. Nice and handy in size, all kinds of EQ options, great tone. It's a winner.

NorthernGoliath and JimmyM like this.
  7. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    7 Pro too! Gain needs to be at 11-12 before the magic starts. Very different than the tubes amps.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I used a 3PRO for many years in a super loud metal band, and never had any trouble even with an 8 ohm 410. Ignore the "CLIP" light and get the gain up to a healthy level, so that the light is flashing on every note. This is where it really opens up.

Never really got much benefit out of tube rolling, though.

9. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    About twenty years ago I used to use my (1998) SVT-3Pro with an SVT-810E, and that rig was dangerously loud. Recently I replaced all the factory tubes with JJ's (awesome tubes, BTW!) and now with my two SVT-15E it's even louder! Cannot turn the master volume past 12 o'clock.

So yes, people calling the SVT-3Pro "under powered" must definitely be doing something very wrong.

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I think the issue is the “CLIP” label on the gain knob LED. “Clip” kind of has a negative connotation to it. If that LED was labeled something like “SIGNAL” I think would be more appropriate.

NorthernGoliath and giacomobass like this.
  11. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    Yeah, the SVT-3PRO owner's manual is also notoriously misleading on how to set the Gain knob.

12. NorthernGoliath

NorthernGoliath

Jan 23, 2019
    The 4 pro is an amazing amp in its own right, but something about the 3 just grooves. If you know how to set it up you can go anywhere from smooth tubby motown to grindy nasty metal.

Raw N Low and BasturdBlaster like this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I was ALWAYS UNDERWHELMED by the two I had years ago, and that was using them exactly as you proscribe.

14. NorthernGoliath

NorthernGoliath

Jan 23, 2019
    Did you use the graphic eq? Even engaging it set flat (except the last slider which is the gain) really opens it up.

BasturdBlaster and FRoss6788 like this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Ya, mon. The amp was, simply, underpowered for my needs.

Glad it works for you, though.

NKBassman likes this.
  16. NorthernGoliath

NorthernGoliath

Jan 23, 2019
    We're you trying to play Wembley Stadium with no front of house?

giacomobass, JimmyM and BillySid like this.
  17. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If yours is weak sauce - get the bias checked.

18. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I agree that the 3 pro sounds great and has more than enough power than any one really needs, but the 7 pro can cop that sound, plus more gain control, 1kW, and weighs half as much, so I sold mine and traded up a few years after they came out.

19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Have the 3pro and the SVT III. LOVE THEM BOTH! I've never found them to be underpowered or lacking.

20. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Another really great amp. Very authoritative, especially in the low mids. Just gotta know what you're doing to get the most out of it. I call it a pro level amp because it's not a simple plug and play operation.