1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 810E Vintages

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abraxxus, Dec 14, 2011.

1. abraxxus

abraxxus

Dec 14, 2011
    Good Morning,

I am shopping craigslist for an SVT-810E cab. I have found two that are the same price. One is newer than the other but beat up.

First one has been rode hard and put away wet. Much tolex damage, feet on the bottom are gone etc. But its the newer one. It has the new(er) jackplate (3x 1/4 +2 speakon). I think its only 3-4 years old.

The other one left the dealer and arrived at a studio, has not left since. But its a 1995/1996 and has the jackplate with single 1/4" connection.

I will be running an SVT-CL into this thing, so I do not have need for bi-amp or stereo.

Any advice on which of these would be the better model? They are the same price. I like the idea of the studio model, but not sure of the nuances between revisions.

Thank you,
    -Kaleb Clark

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'd get the older nicer one. The commonly held belief around here is that the late-90s to 2006 cabs had an overall "darker" tone that coincided with a change in suppliers for the eminence speaker cones. I believe the studio one you're talking about would be made prior to this change. Plus it would look cleaner for those into aesthetics ;)

3. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    Yeah if I didn't have the opportunity to play them I would get the older one. The year range mentioned above were made with OSB i believe. JimmyM and a few others know far more about this but there are a few years that most agree sound too dark.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'd take the old nicer one too.

5. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Older one for sure.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Older is usually better...unless it's not. But I'd take the older one too.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If the newer one was cleaner, I'd say go for that one, but I'd probably go for the older one in this situation, too. If it's a 96, that means it's before OSB and before dark speakers. Both sound excellent, but I do like pretty stuff ;)

8. abraxxus

abraxxus

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I ended up picking up the older one. It is mint! Matched with the same vintage SVT classic I have, it's name is Rennet, for it's milk curdling power!

The other fun part was the guy ended up being the bass player for a band I listened to when I was younger. random..

Again, thanks. First post here and got straight clean info.

-Kaleb Clark