1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 8X10 Story

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by charmicarmicat, Jul 24, 2007.

1. I went to jam tonight with some friends (improv with drummer, horn and laptop) and didn't feel like taking all my gear. Happens. So I only took my bass (w/RSII pick up), my recently acquired AMT and my Solstice as I was told that there was a power amp and a cab available. When I got there I was in a bit of a shock as I looked upon an SVT 8X10 cabinet and Peavey CS 800 power amp. The power amp was no problem but I was really worried about the cab as I am used to play with an EA CXL 112. Plugged everything in and lo and behold, everything sounded GREAT! Sounded a bit dark and boomy at first but after a few seconds of very minimal EQ tweaking on the Solstice it really surprised me. No feedback and a really nice warm woody tone.
    I just wanted to share this with anyone interested, that's all :)

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Maybe you will start a revolution with this thread. If you start seeing and hearing about DB players around the world starting to use 8x10s, it was because of you. :smug:

3. I'm a big fan of big amps for larger venues. Actually thinks svt 8*10 and the big ampeg top is the best combo there is. Best sound IMO when reasonably to massive large amounts of volume are needed. Tight and natural - both for eb and ub.

4. I'm a newbie to the urpight but, IMHO, for electric, there is indeed no better combo than and late 60's early 70's SVT head and an 8X10 cabinet. No matter what music you play. One problem though is the weight of that combo. Two dead bodies :) also maintenance on the head can be costly. That said it is worth it. Now for upright... that's another story. Either way, the cab sounded great and I was really surprised.
    Revolution? Right on! :)

5. fred pratt

fred pratt

Jun 20, 2004
    New York City
    So now I have to try to get both my upright AND an 8x10 in a taxi?!

6. Not only that but you may have to lug it down the stairs to hop on a train! You're gonna get some looks but it's worth it! The tone, man, the tone :)

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou

Just ask for a Hummer Taxi...no problem.

8. ...and a free hernia...