1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visirale, Feb 8, 2004.

1. @ Bovril - I am also curious about this.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have not played an SVT-DI but I've heard clips and I liked them quite well. But the REDDI has an output transformer and the SVT-DI doesn't and the OT is pretty darn important to that thickness. But they're both DI's, and neither are built for grind.

3. Thanks Master Jimmy!!

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Who told you THAT whopper? There is one..... but it may not be what you mean....

Don't know much about the REDDI but you are probably referring to a mini-power amp with push-pull into transformer, which the SVT-DI doesn't have.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's sort of what the REDDI is, Jerrold. It's strictly a DI and doesn't put out power, but it weighs 10 lbs and it's got a fairly big iron OT. From the description in the manual, it sounds like the SVT-DI has a Jensen or similar electronic transformer for the output. It's a really good sounding DI from what I've heard on tape, no doubt. No slight intended. But I think you'd dig the REDDI, too. Sounds pretty much identical to running a B-15 clean with a speaker DI.

6. I'm interested in the SVT-DI because I tried the REDDI and it definitely does give that B-15 kinda vibe, which is unfortunately too much of a good tubey thing for the tone I'm looking for. I need something that will add just a bit of thickness/slight compression but not colour the tone otherwise - I don't want to sound like a tube head, more like a modern SS tone but with a tad more harmonic content

7. Have you tried the Sadowsky outboard pre amp? IMHO, it does what you're looking for.

8. Would love to try one but I don't think we have a sadowsky agent here so would probably have to order online

9. I have an Avalon U5 which is very transparent and a Fender tbp-1 pre which is very tubey (sounds kinda like a REDDI with an added EQ and drive channel) so looking for something sorta inbetween for pedalboard application

10. Ok so I tried this DI out this weekend, just in the store, and it definitely does add some tubey thickness to the tone... It is not a huge difference, less than the REDDI at any rate, but still a noticeable change when switching the tube in and out. It actually is a nice balance between the U5 and the REDDI

IMO it is not a significant enough difference to warrant the price when a sansamp or something similar could do the same job and more for less cash, but there is still an arguement for tube authenticity compared to modelling etc...

maybe it will perform a bit better when being pushed harder by a higher gain signal

so if you can't tell from my response so far, I am still a bit undecided on it which will warrant more testing :)

11. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Use the line THRU of the SVT-DI with the tube engaged to feed the SansAmp. Simple. :)
    svtsans.

12. Damn, talk about a tubey sounding signal! :)

13. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hope I was able to help. :) You said: "I don't want to sound like a tube head, more like a modern SS tone but with a tad more harmonic content". That's my Solid State rig configured to sound as close to my tube rig as possible. The key is the SVT-DI's ability to enable the tube for the line thru. High marks for the SVT-DI, and it's fun to swap 12AU7 tubes in it as well. Hope you find the tone you are searching.

14. I have never seen an SVT-DI for sale. Is this a product only sold outside the U.S.?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, but it's been discontinued for years.

16. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    They have been showing up in the classifieds lately, at least 2 in the past couple of months

17. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    High Point, NC
    Do note that on the SVT-DI the 'direct' on both the Thru and Balanced outs are normal phase. The 'tube' setting inverts absolute phase 180 degrees on the thru and or balanced outs. It's a pretty big deal to me.

18. Hi.

Why?

As long as they're both in same phase, how is that a problem?

Regards
    Sam

19. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Lol ! I'm laughing at a jab from 18 months ago.