Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visirale, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I think this belongs in the amps forum... Anyway I searched and didn't find anything. Basically it's just a little box you plug put your signal through, it passes through a 12ax7 tube, and voila. You get a tube like sound. Ampeg specifically says it's for coloring up the sound of solid state amps. I think this would really benifit my solid sate 350h head.

I don't know if these are even out yet, ampeg is the only website with anything on them... But I'll probably pick one up... after I get my fender deluxe 5 that is ;)...

So anyone got any comments on this?

http://www.ampeg.com/products.htm?product=96&catid=31

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much "warmth" are you gonna get with one tube? :confused:

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Haha, you saying that just gave me an idea. If one had an infinite budget, one could run his/her signal through as many tubes as he/she wanted...

Oh well... One tube would still be better than none. Or do you think there is a better project within a reasonable price range that could add more warmth?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Nino..there are actually two triodes in a 12AX7 so you can get plenty of "tube like warmth" out of them....at least as much as most Eden or SWR (or many other) brands with a 12AX7 at the input.

Personally, I like the tone of the SVT-350H all by itself and sold a '73 SVT in favor of one...but that's just me...

5. Wow BillyB something must have been something wrong with that 73 SVT wish you had sold it to me. Anyway, a single 12AX7 does not a tube sound make. I had an svt III-pro and I would not consider that a tube sound at all. I feel that most of an amps tube tone comes from the power amp (and drive tubes) I think that musicman even had an amp with a solid state preamp and the rest was all tube which would sound totally different if it was the other way around. One 12AX7 alone won't give you that much warmth (listen to how warm sounding an Ashdown is and that has no tubes in it).

6. How much money are these gonna be?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yep, the early MusicMan amps had tube power amps...not sure about the phase inverter though...

8. Well I think that it looks a lot like about 25 other DIs I've seen. Wonder what took Ampeg so long? I hate to say this but I'm tired of trying DIs which run on AC. IME, unless you're also gonna spend another couple hundred cleaning up your AC power then you just get garbage in the signal. Live, it matters a lot less.

The other big deal with me is the signal attenuation at the output. Makes getting a vibrant signal to tape that much harder. A lot of studio-built jobs have a gain built on that solves that prob. I think the JDV and Groove Tube DIs caught on to the gain thing too.

This Ampeg looks a lot like the DB900. It's got the weakest output of them all and noisy.

9. Its actualy a 12AU7 I know I own one

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the early musicman amps had a tube phase inverter and the later ones didn't.

11. i though they discontinued these? i wish i'd tried one but they were $800 here in australia

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This thread is from '04, before the DI was discontinued. It was revived by "Woolly Mammoth" who wanted to let the ancients know that it really contains a 12AU7, which makes pretty much no difference to anybody who isn't actively shopping for a replacement tube for their SVTDI. :p

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good point, and good morning. Loves me some zombie lovin' in the morn,.

14. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    I thought this thread could use a bump. I have an SVT-DI and I can vouch for the fact that it adds an impressive amount of warmth to your signal, even for 1 tube, you can hear the difference by punching the TUBE IN/TUBE OUT button. What is really cool now is that you can use this DI as the front end of the new SVT MICRO-VR and if you set the gain and volume controls in the sweet spot and use two of the cabinets for 200 watts of power at 4 ohms, you can get that Tubey SVT Classic sound. I can say this because I toured the last two years with a USA made SVT Classic head and a 6x10 USA cabinet. Its remarkable. Im thinking of adding another micro stack and putting it all in a road case and making it my new touring rig, as we use in-ears and I dont need to push a lot of air, but still want that sound. And the speakers are great and perfect for miking at just before breakup. I run the Gain at 12-1 oclock, Bass at 3-4 oclock, Mid at 10 oclock, Treble at 11-12 oclock, and Volume between 12 and 1 oclock, and use Mogami 12 gauge speaker wire. If you use ears live or if you like to record with an amp, Im telling you, just short of a good vintage B-15, this rig with the SVT-DI in the front end is a killer!

15. I had major gas for one of these when it came out. I read the review in Bass Player Magazine and I knew that it was for me. However, the only time I actually saw one was in Rudy's on 48th street and the price scared me away so I never had the chance to try it out.

I'm wondering how the sound of one of these compares to the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

Anyone have the chance to A/B them?

16. I own both. It's a very cool DI and the VT bass pedal is pretty slick as well. I think they are pretty different animals though, all things considered. I like what both things do, I wouldn't say the VT pedal would over-take this DI just by the nature of not having an XLR out, but all things considered, they do add tube tone to non tube amps, just in different ways. Simulation vs actual-ation. Does it turn a Crate into an SVT? No, neither ones does but some of those tones are in each.

17. Sorry for raising the dead here but I'd like to hear more info on how much of an actual tube effect this SVT-DI gets? Are we talking similar to the REDDI in terms of adding thickness? can it be driven for a little dirt, can it drive a poweramp?

Asking because one showed up on my radar and wondering if it is worth the time checking it out?

18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

....Really?..... :smug:

19. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    Yeah.....nothing personal......but.....really?

20. Nothing personal, but you're questioning a comment made on 02-09-2004.