1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT KILLER!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clammy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    I know this may stir things up a bit, but it is what it is.

Last week, we played the Sweden Rock Festival. I stepped onto the stage to set my stuff up, and lo and behold, what do I see staring at me? A Marshall VBA 400 topping off 2 VBC 412 cabs. :hyper: This is the first time that I have had a Marshall VBA rig supplied per our tech rider (the Marshall rig is the main one I request, with an SVT-CL/8x10 rig as alternative), and it's also the first time I've had the chance to play one on a large open air stage. Usually, I'm supplied an SVT rig, and last time, I ran an SVT-CL into 2 8x10 cabs, when we played Metal Open Air in Brazil in April. (the stage was very comparable to the stage we played in Sweden). So, I can safely say that I've had a fair amount of experience playing modern SVT rigs (including NMV versions). On the other hand, I haven't played through any vintage SVT rigs, so my experience with those is about non-existent.

The Marshall rig just KILLED the SVT rigs I've played through. TONS of useable volume, amazing tone (I AM biased toward Marshall tone though ,heheh... ;) ). I could hear myself no matter where I went on the stage, whereas I often lose the sound, if I stray away too far, when running through SVT rigs. And I REALLY love the sound of those VBC cabs. I can't really describe it, but the Marshall rig just grunts so much more, and has a sound that's sweeter, and fuller, to my ears than the SVTs.

Now, that said, I really dig the SVT sound, but I LOVE the Marshall VBA/VBC sound much more.

SANY1442.gif

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. That's beautiful.:cool:

3. best tube amp for metal? :bag:

4. I remember a recent thread by you stating that you just copped a new Marshall stack. Was it the Lemmy Signature stack?

5. Taking into account Exciter bassist's testimony, it at least has to be way up there. Respect!

6. Nice! Just need an action shot now!

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There's no describing what playing in front of 8 12"s is like.

You can't appreciate it until you experience it. :cool:

The drag is, I see a DI lying there and no mic.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If Clammy thinks this is the best amp for metal I'd believe him.... just look at him, you gonna argue???

pic_tor080817_5.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for Exciter man, you guys rollin thru the states anytime soon? If you hit Pittsburgh definitely let us know, or PM me so I dont miss it!

9. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I used my VBA400 last Saturday night with one VBC412 playing before (and after) Starship and REO. It just oozes power. I didn't have to crank it very high but it sounded wonderful. The sound guys thought it was a guitar amp at first LOL but I got no complaints.

Attached Files:

• 083.jpg
      083.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  10. True 400 watt tube heads rule!

11. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That bass is way too pointy to be that close to your junk. Be careful.

12. Thanks, nice looking bass rig - hey, what is the blue and white colored box on the ground next to the amp?

13. I figured you would be the one to say that amp would sound better through an 815 set up... :p

14. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, they did run it through a DI box, and no mic. A bit of a bummer, but it sounded SOOOO good on stage, hehehe... :D

Cheers!

15. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, it was when I got my first VBA 400 (I have 2 now). I have a bunch of 70s Super Bass heads, and run through 80s Marshall 4x12 and 2x15 bass cabs. The Lemmy reference no doubt comes from me mentioning that he's my main influence, and the reason I started using Marshall amps/cabs when I made the switch to bass full-time. :cool:

Cheers!

16. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    DI box.

Cheers!

17. Looks like a Radial Engineering J48 di to me.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Whoah ,I remember Exiter all the way back from the eighties' , and my sister Sandra was Donna Beeler's [sp?] buddy.
    We lived over on gilchrist ave. at the time , I think we were neighbours.

19. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    I've been interested in checking one of these out for awhile. And of course looking at the guts.

20. Thanks, I'm running on slow this morning, lol. Cheers