1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT vs V9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 59tweedeluxe, Mar 5, 2008.

1. I have been using the forums here for along time and figured i'd finally join. anyways...

i'm getting a V9 from a friend, and i've looked all over the web and haven't really been able to find that much info on them. sooo... i know there are people like psycho bass guy who know all these sort of things.

i know the svt and v9 have the same power section, and i know they share the same chassis, BUT what i don't know, it is worth it/possible to mod the V9 pre to svt spec? i don't want distortion or reverb as it will only be a bass amp and as it's not a printine 69 blueline, i'm not really as concerned with orginality as i am with tone. any ideas???

thanks for checking out a n00bs post!

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Use it as is and I think you will be happy, just dont use the distortion or reverb. Bass players use the V9 with much success. Modding will likely be more complication than it is worth.

3. Hi.

+1.

If You really want to try the "SVT" route, borrow the SVP preamp and run Your signal through that combination.

IIRC from looking at the schematics the V9 pre channels are quite complicated, making modding them rather difficult. Were there a power-amp in as well as the pre out?

That modding can be done obviously, but more features doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be used ;).

Just my 0.02€ as usual.
    Sam

4. it's not, NOT using them. i guess i'm just thinking of more crap in the signal path that i don't need, more stuff to go wrong.

5. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    IIRC, the pre is just like a V4. My V4 sounds awesome for bass. Keep it like it is! There is a slight difference between the tones of my V4 and my SVT, but not a huge difference and the V4 is not worse, just a little different. Keep it original and just be a tad different than the rest of us vintage SVT'ers! I am sure the tone will be pure Ampeg tube goodness!

6. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    As other posters have said, no need to do any modifications. The complexity of the V9 preamp vs the SVT preamp are almost exactly the same, just different, so there wouldn't be any more to go wrong than with the SVT. THe tone shaping circuits are basically the same in the two, except you don't get the Ultra-Low on the V9. Just use input 2 (straight channel) and turn down the reverb. Actually, a little reverb sounds kind of cool with bass sometimes (I have a V4 that has reverb). If you REALLY want to you could remove the reverb tank and the reverb driver tube V3 (6CG7), and also the channel 1 preamp tube V1(12DW7), which you could always replace, but why bother?

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Ya, don't butcher a rare vintage amp. This clear signal path stuff is fine when you're running effects, but when it comes to modding rare vintage amps, it's better to sell it and buy something you like if it's not making you happy. Besides, any benefit you can get by eliminating the reverb is covered up in the amp's normal operating noise, anyway.