1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT3-Pro+SansAmp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CVsawyer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. CVsawyer

CVsawyer

Sep 22, 2010
    I have seen many mosts with people using a Svt3 and SansAmp together but not how they have it hooked up. I got a RBI about two weeks ago and I am using it as a driver through the effects loop on my ampeg and leave it on all the time...is this bad??? I do have the settings set on a "neutral ground" (same volume whether the sansamp is on or off) so one is not driving the other. The reason I ask is because when I first hooked it up it sounded AMAZING!! We just played 2 gigs this weekend ( I dont over crank for gigs) and at practice last light my tone was just....something is def. wrong. I think I might need new tubes, Ive had the head for about 3 years so they're probably due. Is it a coincedence or could the SansAmp caused something to fry?? Thanks in advance!

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I don't think the Sansamp fried anything. Open the amp up and look at the tubes - see if they are all glowing. Whatever one that is not - that is the one you replace! If it's not the tubes, I am not 100% sure what the problem is.

You can hook up the RBI through the effects loop, the Power Amp in and right through the main input jack. Experiment! Sounds like you found your sound...

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    You have to be careful if you put it through the main input, I'd go the power amp in/effects return route. Did you check your knobs?

4. CVsawyer

CVsawyer

Sep 22, 2010
    Thanks guys!! I was hoping it was a coincedence. Sucks that its not sounding great but on the bright side....Im getting new tubes! :D Ive been doing some research on those today and it looks like the JJ's are the way to go! Thanks for your input and reasurrance!

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    No problem man! Make sure and hold onto the current tubes after you replace them and see if the new tubes solve the issue. If not, then take it to a tech.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just fyi, preamp tubes can and do last decades. Go ahead and get the JJ's, but you shouldn't need to ever replace those, then.

7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Before you start replacing tubes it would be best to start from scratch and set up your rig as you did before you started using the RBI. The best wasy to trouble shoot is by adding one piece of gear at a time. Once you have decided if your amp is functioning properly I would then start to experiment with the RBI.

Here is some info on using our SansAmp RBI with a bass rig:

RBI with Ampeg or other bass amp (switchable)

You have a few options:

1) You can skip the Ampeg's preamp section entirely by running from your instrument to the RBI's input, and from the RBI's Effected 1/4" Output to the Ampeg's Effect Return (sometimes labelled Power Amp In). This will send the RBI preamp signal straight to the Ampeg's power section. But you might skip all the Ampeg's knob controls, too, and the RBI's Level knob will serve as your "Master Volume". So be sure your instrument's volume knob is all the way down before you power up the Ampeg... otherwise, it may be very, very loud!

2) You can connect your instrument to the RBI's front input and run its Effected 1/4" Output to the Ampeg's front input (or rear input, if you're wired up in a rack). With the RBI in bypass, set the Ampeg for its "best" tone, and add the RBI as a "monster overdrive pedal". You'll probably have to ignore the sample settings in the owner's manual (which are intended for direct recording without an amp) and set the RBI so its tone is "complementary" to the Ampeg's own character.

3) You can connect your instrument to the RBI and run the RBI to the Ampeg's front (or rear) input, but this time you'll set all the Ampeg knobs halfway up, so there isn't too much or too little of anything (for the most "neutral" tone you can get from it). This will allow you to leave the RBI settings closer to the samples in the manual, but some tweaking may still be required.

4) There may also be a way to "shuttle" back and forth between one preamp at a time (like having a two-channel bass amp), if the Ampeg's effect loop is footswitchable (on or off). You'd plug into the RBI's input, then go from its Uneffected 1/4" Output to the Ampeg's input, and from its SansAmp 1/4" Output to the Ampeg's Effect Return. When the effect loop is off, you'll get the Ampeg's preamp, and when it's on, you'll get the RBI.

We encourage you to try all these methods, and choose the one you like best.

8. grunge666

grunge666

Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks to this thread I'm now the owner of the best sounding rig I've ever played through!
    SVT3Pro - Sansamp RBI through the FX loop - into a 410HLF
    I've re-tubed with JJ's and it's just, well ... MONSTER!!!
    Thank you all for the advice, tips & tricks - I can now dial in any sound/tone I want but, more importantly, the sound I needed!
    Cheers!

9. zeusathood920

zeusathood920

Mar 6, 2011
    I have a SVT3 Pro head a sansamp RBI a korg dtr 2000 tuner and a 482i maximizer if someone could please help me that would be awesome!