1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT4PRO with two 810 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Sep 13, 2008.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    Does anyone know if the SVT4PRO can handle two SVT-810E cabs? I just got the cabs and the head, but I am reluctant to hook up both cabs.I eventually want to get a power amp for each cab but in the meantime I want to use the 4pro, I guess I can call ampeg on Monday but Im hoping my fellow tb'ers can give me an answer before monday.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    amp A into one cab, amp B into the other.

3. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    yes it will handle it , but a lot of t.b.er's think the svt 4 is very over rated in power ... im not sure if it has enough power in stereo mode to power both cabs for you . but that also depends on your playing situation ... i would think since you have 2 810 cabs that you are in a loud ass band .... lol lol lol

4. The OP must r e a l l y like hauling gear. I had a 6 pro, it was loud, but heavy. Weighed more than the sound it put out unfortunately.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think you could do it just fine. If it's gonna sound good, well, that's another story... Can't you just try it?

6. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    I hope it does not sound like crap...we will be playing on some decent stages on our next tour so we'll see. Worse case I can just use one for looks and run only one. It will suck for for our gutar tech but, thats what he gets paid to do lol. I guess I just want to make sure i dont blow the head trying to run both cabs.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not underpowered. People don't understand (and it's Ampeg's fault for not cluing them in well enough) that the input light is not a clip light, so they turn the gain up to where it blinks occasionally, not knowing that they have a ton of headroom in the gain stage. The input light should be on pretty steady. You can crank that gain pretty hot, almost all the way, before you'll hear distortion. And I think 490w a side through two 810's is enough power for anyone.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I say it is a bad match of speakers.

There is no good reason for using any other setting of a 4PRO than MONO........... EVERY other possible use will usually sound anemic and quiet, unless amazing care is taken.

The Mono rating is for 4 ohms, so 2 810E are a no-no for mono.

Better to go mono into one speaker cab. BUT the 810E, IIRC has the flat-back speakers, NOT the ones from the HLF cabs..... Could be wrong, I don't have the BOMs any more....

You can EASILY over-power the flat-back speakers, even in a 810, with the 4PRO. If you do, you will know it from the very loud "CRACK" noise as the coils hit the magnet.

Anyway, I think ONE 810 of suitable capability will be louder and better sounding, more fun to play, than two run one per channel. In "stereo" (dual mono), you get less power, and your only hope is that the "wall-o-sound" of 16 10" speakers makes up for it. Depending on what you want, it might......... but......

For some reason, I have never really heard a good loud result from even 4 speakers run dual mono..... Something about headroom just plain rocks......

9. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    valid points, I guess the second cab is overkill, I guess I will just use it for looks and as a backup if my main cab dies or gets too ugly.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Get your self two high powered 8 ohm 4x10's and run them parallel mono bridged.

I just figured out the other day how to hook up a speak on in bridged mode of a power amp. I believe the 4 will do the same. That is very easy to do and cool.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmmm everything i've been told(and jerrold please correct me if i'm wrong) but the led should not be on steadily. it should be set to flash when the hardest notes but not be on at all times.

anyway, it WILL sound better if you have it in bridged mono with one 810. but it can be done running one amp per cab...would i do it? no. i would just rock one cab and be done with it.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Theoretically yes, but if it works how you want and doesn't break, keep doing it............

13. Jerrold,

Is this different from the 3Pro recommendations? It seems that most people recommend that you run the 3Pro with the light pretty much flashing with every note. I know that mine has a ton more volume this way...

14. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I remember reading here that the light should actually light up every note you play. I played one today with the craptastic BSE 410 H and that combo didn't sound half bad with all the fancy pants gizmos turned off. The diffrent voicings were pretty much useless as I remembered them though (2/3 are th ebst, others, not so much).

Ampeg reminds me of the old muscle cars. A lot of power (supposedly), inefficient, but it does scratch an itch not many other competitors can scratch.

I also recommend a single 810 over two of them. You really don't need two 810 on stage, especially if one is just for show. Buy an old empty one if you want to have a stage prop.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Like I said... theory and actual operation are two different things........ I'd go to the side of pushing it, as opposed to holding back....... As you discovered, it often works better, regardless of what the manual says.

16. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Im leaning towards getting a poweramp to push both cabs. I toured with Drowning Pool and Stevie uses 4 410 cabs...sounds oh sooo sweet. In the meantime I am going to use another head that I own to power the second cab. i didnt pay for the ampeg gear, but it would be a shame to have the second cab sitting in our trailer when I can use it to install fear and piss off my guitarists that crank to 11

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    interesting...maybe i'll start rollin the input gain a little higher and master volume lower.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    jerrold what would you say about how high one should have the level of the eq?

19. From personal experience, a 4 pro with two 810's sounds and feels incredibly loud, definitely not anemic whatsoever. There really isnt anything else that feels like 16 10's pounding on stage. Once you play with that backline you will not want to use just one of the cabs.

20. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    sweet...I'm not one for subtlety, hence why i play in a heavy metal band