1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swapped pup wires fixed my problem. Why??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Waxwing, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Waxwing

Waxwing

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks to many of your posts, I was able to fix a low output/drop in low end problem when the blend pot was at the center detent. I swapped the finish and start leads on one of the single coil pups and that solved the issue.

Can someone give me a detailed (more than just "they were out of phase or in phase") explanation? I really want to understand why this worked. My electronics knowledge is very rusty (more than 20 yrs old :oops: ) and I'm trying to get back into it.

Thanks!
    Wax

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Out of phase means a positive wave in one pickup is offset by a negative wave in the other. That means any thing that's being sensed exactly the same in both PUPs is canceled.

John

3. Waxwing

Waxwing

Jun 21, 2012
    JTE

You drew up a schematic of a blend pot in a post from 2009. This schematic (rather than a diagram) really helped me understand how a blend pot works. You said to make sure the pups are wired in phase. So this is where my confusion comes in. My single coils pups have 2 wires: one green, one black. One pup green wire is connected to the middle top lug, the other pup green wire connected to the middle bottom lug. The rest of the connections are wired appropriately for the type of blend pot I have. I ASSumed that since both green wires were going to the pot, that meant the pups were in phase. But with this configuration, I got the low output/loss of low end when at the center detent. I swapped the black and green wire on one pup and that solved this issue. Based on wire color and in my tiny mind, that swapping put the pups out of phase. No??? What am I missing here?

Wax