1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sweet Fullerton Precision on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Btone, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
  2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Looks like a nice bass. Very clean. The BIN price is probably a good bit cheaper than you could get it for in Europe, right?
    My very early AV '57 Precision is a three piece body, just like that one. The seller seems OK. I say go for it.
    Oops - just read the neck hump issue. Might hold off unless I got an in-hand description of the problem.
    Jim B

3. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    A little pricey IMHO for fret buzz that won't go away.

4. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Absolutely.

A good point. On the other hand, what's a little fret buzz..

So the Fullerton reissues didn't always have the production date written on the neck? And this Garcia guy - is he one of the Fender guys from the old days?

5. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    why are fullertons so great?

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've had several Fullertons and they all had the date hand written on the neck. I would be leary of this bass. The fact that is has a hump in it causing fret buzz makes it probable it is a Fullerton however, they were notorious for having this problem.

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    They were made in the original factory with as close to the original specs and materials as possible. They are good axes, but nowhere near a real Leo era bass.

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Really? I've spent a good bit of time at the Fender forum and never heard that before.:meh: My '83 P bass ('57 RI) had minor buzz when I bought it a few months ago, but a bit of fret filing cured that.

9. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    The string tree is in the wrong spot on the headstock, and the decal looks like something is wrong with it. Plus no pencil date and I don't think that is the original neck -- hump or no hump.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned about 15 Fullerton basses. You had ONE good one. There are many bad ones. Ask Mike Lull.

11. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I say don't buy a bass with neck problems. There are plenty of basses out there with good necks. Just my 2 cents.

12. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    I might be full of ****, but here you go, please correct:

1) They were built by pre-CBS Fender craftsmen (and women). People who knew what they were doing.
    2) They were built at the Fender Fullerton plant with pre-CBS production tools, materials and production methods.
    3) They are likely to be good investments - I don't mind my bass raising in value each year.
    4) Don't know how many were made, but the output of Fullerton Fenders were modest (82 - 84?), they're somewhat "exclusive".
    5) They have a certain aura sticked to them - for the above reasons.

Another Fender myth/hype, maybe, but I want one. :smug:

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've had preCBS Fender's with the string tree in the wrong spot and the decal looks okay from what I can tell.

14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, if I wanted it and I was sitting on a bid $95 down from BIN with 4 days left, I'd just bite the bullet and buy it and save myself the heartburn of waiting to see if someone is going to come in with 5 bucks more and take it away.

15. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Your '83 RI is very possibly a Fullerton - weren't all RIs between 82 and 84 Fullertons? BC, Before Corona?

16. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    My point was that the combination of all of those things combined with the "hump" would lead me to steer far, far away from that bass. And no one has mentioned the crack in the neck at one of the screw holes.

The body looks authentic, though (note how the finish has sunk into the body joints).

17. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Pretty much correct except some of the materials available in the early days were not available during this era and although the men and women may know what they are doing, they are not Leo Fender. No Fender, MusicMan, or G&L built during non-Leo years has the feel or sound of a Leo era instrument. Hence the reason all my basses are Leo era.

18. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree!

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes, mine's a Fullerton. And I believe you're right on the date range.

20. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Just buy a 2000 or 2001 50th RI and save it for 20 years! It'll go by quicker than ya think, especially if you're over 35 already.

:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021