1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switchable Ohmage Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Incognitus, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Does any company make a Switchable Ohmage Cab? You know make cab that you can switch from 8 to 4 ohms or 4 to 2 ohms. That would be soooo nice in terms of flexibility.

For instance if you have a 1200 switchable cab, and head that puts out 1200 at 2 ohms. Well instead of two four ohm 1200 cabs you would only need to flick a switch to two ohms and keep your cab weight down.

Any such thing like this or am I just dreaming.

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Oh no :eek::rollno:
    Bad things happened the last time a company tried this.

3. mesaboogieman24

mesaboogieman24

Nov 21, 2007
    I've been meaning to ask the same question.
    So please enlighten us!
    Are we dreaming or is this out there?

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Don't Accugroove cabs do this?

5. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Do a search on *Accuswitch*

enjoy:bag:

6. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, I don't know how you could easily just change the impedance of a speaker component, but there is something else that can be done. One word: transformer

Check out Peavey's Automatch II transformer. It only has a wattage limit of 400 watts. However, it seems to be the magic answer that many people are looking for when it comes to impedance matching/changing.

7. mesaboogieman24

mesaboogieman24

Nov 21, 2007
    So there's no way for me to install something like that on the cabs I already have?
    (sorry if that's a dumb question, I don't know much about this kinda of stuff)

8. Couldn't the speakers be wired in both series and parallel or different series/parallel configurations? and then have them switchable? I don't know much about speakers but I know with electricity
    Resistance in a series circuit = R1+R2+R3 etc.
    1/Resistance in a parallel circuit = 1/R1+1/R2 etc.
    Wouldn't it be possible to work some sort of switchable speaker configuration if you had the time and ambition to do the math?

9. Oh and its not ohmage it's resistance or impedance.

10. You can switch a cab from, say, 16 ohm mono to 8 ohm stereo, this is very common with guitar cabs.

You could also, if you really wanted, wire to switch a cab from 8 ohms to 2 ohms by switching from parallel to series wiring, depending on the drivers.

But in general... no, you can't change the impedance of a cab without changing the speakers in it.

If you look inside your cab, there's no magic going on in there. None at all. It's just some wires going from the jack to the speakers. The speakers are at a set impedance. End of story. :bag: