1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching between 5 string and 4 string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roboglitch, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Roboglitch

Roboglitch

Jan 1, 2013
    How many of you regularly switch between playing 4 and 5 string basses? I bought a cheap 5 string for a project and I love it to the point that I'm thinking of getting rid of my 4 string and only playing 5. My four string is a much better quality bass so I hate to sell it as I've always regretted selling any bass I've had. Still I haven't touched it for months. Thoughts?

2. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

Jan 15, 2012
    Central WA
    I only have a 5-string... so can't answer the question EXACTLY as asked. But, I've recently (literally 2 days ago) decided to see how low I could tune it. I have it down to F#, with relative stability... though it's really, really low tension. Thankfully, I am running XL Chromes, which have a 'tense' feel to them as it is, in spite of the literal tension.

What I'm debating now-- before I play on the weekend-- is if I'm going to feel comfortable with the adjustment to keep it this way? Honestly, I probably won't play much lower than I do now, it's more a matter of moving further up the neck while still maintaining the same "tuning" I had before. I'd still be BEADG, except that would all start on the fifth-fret. I almost never use anything on the G-string, which is why I've considered this. I've been enjoying moving up the neck, but if I'm going to play "bass", I haven't enjoyed the increasing frequency, as I move up the neck, if that makes any sense.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've played both and switched back and forth for the last 6 years or so... In my current band, I take one of each to my gigs in a double gig bag, and probably play about 1/3 or our songs on a 5er...

- georgestrings

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Don't sell it!! I played only 5 string for about 6 years and when I got a 4 string again it felt like I had to relearn the instrument. Now I switch back and forth all the time and it prevents me from becoming a "pattern" player. I have to think about note selection and all of the different ways I can play a line and this makes me a more present musician.

5. I switch back and forth a lot but not on the same gig. If I am playing a jazz gig I use my fretless four string Rob Allen Mouse..for everything else I play a 5'er..

6. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Played both awhile back. Same as you cheap 5, nice 4 string.
    Whatever you do, don't sell the 4 string.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I switched back in 1995 and never looked back. Oh I do have the occasional sit ins with a friends band, and I play their bassists 4 string. I just feel more free on a 5. Comes in very handy when I'm singing lead or background so I don't have to look at my hands as much

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I switch back and forth all the time. Just depends on the gig and the set list.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I switch back and fourth all the time too. I can play all but 1 of our songs on a 4 string but I do enjoy throwing in some low notes on a 5er here and there. It takes a few seconds to mentally adjust to whichever you happen to be playing, but it's easy enough.

I've been playing my 5ers a lot more lately (pretty much 100% of the time) and have been mulling around the thought of getting rid of a bunch of my 4's, except for the irreplaceables.

10. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I go through cycles. Sometimes all I need or want is a P bass, other times, it's my custom 6 string. Lately, I've been playing mostly fretless 5. I've been swapping between 4/5/6 for 15 years.

If you are gigging and/or playing a lot of different genres, it's a smart idea to keep at least a couple different basses around.

11. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I have and play both. There's no reason to limit yourself in your lifetime of playing bass based on a TB poll or by what people say online. Get out there and jam on what works for you. I've been playing a 5'er the last 3 years exclusively, but I'm pricing a really nice 4 at the moment because I want one.

12. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I switch back and forth depending on the gig and the song, I'd rather be playing a 4 string all the time but sometimes you just need a 5 string, there's no way I'd ditch my 4's and play only a 5 string.

13. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I played 4's for 10 years and now only play a 5. I love 5's. Tons of versatility.

14. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Cant do it- I have two four strings left for that reason- all the songs I play with all my bands for the past 15 years are positioned to be anchored off the B string.
    Its not that I cant play 4 strings any more, its that I cant think quick enough on my feet to play my current setlists on two different tunings, AKA "Where did my bleeping B string go?"

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I play both.
    But I tend to think more of note choice when playing a 5.
    It's not a bad thing.
    4-string is second nature to me.

16. I swap consistently between a 4 string P, and a 5 string MTD with the whole asymmetrical neck thing. I don't have an issue.

17. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's happened to me! Sometimes I end up playing on the wrong string...

18. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I switch back and forth when I practice so if its ever necessary on a gig I can without a problem.

19. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    Don't sell your 4 string. I play mostly on 5 and 6 now with my band and didn't touch my 4 for well over 10 years. Now it's the only one I really practice on at home. It's like a brand new toy every time I pick it up. Lot's of fun playing on it. Plus it's nice to attack things from a different prospective every now and then.

20. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I too like using both so try to keep skills up for both. My goal is to never grab a wrong string, and I think I'm finally there after 20 years of swapping back and forth. Now I never think much about which I'm playing. Go ahead and sell the 4 if you need the cash but don't be surprised if you find yourself missing it at some point.