Switching btween arco and pizz

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by BassZen, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Whenever I am playing pizz and holding the bow at the same time it keeps on hitting the bass. I am a German player and usually hold the bow hanging from my third and forth fingers so all I need to to is flip it up to get back into arco. Is there any other way of holding the bow so that it won't continiously tap the bass? I've tried holding with only the pinky with slightly better results but it takes longer to get in and out of arco.
  2. I stick my pinky all the way through the frog, so the bow sort of projects at an angle over the strings. I find it's easy to get back to arco; just a straight downward motion. I don't know if that makes sense; I could take a picture if you'd like. :p
  3. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I had, and still have the exact same problem. However, I can sometimes control it. I think what I'm doing to prevent the tapping is allowing the crotch(I think that's right) of my hand between my thumb and index fingers to put a little pressure on the screw of the bow, thereby causing the tip of the bow to move away from the bass. I can then control the tip by putting more or less pressure on the screw. I don't have this technique down yet though, so I don't know how practical it is. In case you didn't figure it out, I play German and hold it with the 3rd and 4rth fingers when pizzing just like you do (I assume).