Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching from 4 to 5

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, May 25, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Is it hard to switch from a 4 to 5 string bass, I mean would I be able to play the same old bass lines or would I have to translate to 5 string format somehow. Thanks

2. Providing that you tune your 5 string to 'B E A D G' -

Yes, you will be able to play your old bass lines exactly as you would with your 'E A D G' 4 string, you would just have to get used to muting the B string. Which is not difficult if you practice and have faith. :hyper: :D :ninja: :cool:

Good luck. Go for it, it's the only way you will know if it's right (5 string) for you.

:)

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    if you ignore the low B string, you've got the same notes as the 4 string right there in all the same places...

but depending on what bass you have, you might find the strings are little closer together, meaning you'll have to spend a little time adjusting...

you might also have to re-think how you visualise certain aspects of your playing.. i.e. if at a certain point in a song you used to reach for a low f# on a 4-string, it's easy to make a grab in error for the low c# on the B string.. but again, practice will quickly overcome that

also if you play old-school metal kinds of things which often involve a lot of bouncing your pick on the E string, you'll have to overcome that fact there's now a big chunky B sting in the way!

4. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Whats the standard tuning 1)first string tunes to B or 2)fifth string tuned to B?

5. First string is the string closest to the floor. So 1's is G and last is B in your case. Going downwards from ceiling to floor is BEADG. B being the lowest and G the highest.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Does the above apply to Jimmy Haslip?
    This is a great example of why 1st 2nd, etc is a bad way to talk about strings.

7. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The hardest part of switching from a 4 string to a 5 string is deciding which bass you are going to buy. The rest is easy....PRACTICE