Switching from 4 to 5

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, May 25, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Is it hard to switch from a 4 to 5 string bass, I mean would I be able to play the same old bass lines or would I have to translate to 5 string format somehow. Thanks
  2. Providing that you tune your 5 string to 'B E A D G' -

Yes, you will be able to play your old bass lines exactly as you would with your 'E A D G' 4 string, you would just have to get used to muting the B string. Which is not difficult if you practice and have faith. :hyper: :D :ninja: :cool:

Good luck. Go for it, it's the only way you will know if it's right (5 string) for you.

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    if you ignore the low B string, you've got the same notes as the 4 string right there in all the same places...

but depending on what bass you have, you might find the strings are little closer together, meaning you'll have to spend a little time adjusting...

you might also have to re-think how you visualise certain aspects of your playing.. i.e. if at a certain point in a song you used to reach for a low f# on a 4-string, it's easy to make a grab in error for the low c# on the B string.. but again, practice will quickly overcome that

also if you play old-school metal kinds of things which often involve a lot of bouncing your pick on the E string, you'll have to overcome that fact there's now a big chunky B sting in the way!
  4. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Whats the standard tuning 1)first string tunes to B or 2)fifth string tuned to B?
  5. First string is the string closest to the floor. So 1's is G and last is B in your case. Going downwards from ceiling to floor is BEADG. B being the lowest and G the highest.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Does the above apply to Jimmy Haslip?
    This is a great example of why 1st 2nd, etc is a bad way to talk about strings.
  7. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    The hardest part of switching from a 4 string to a 5 string is deciding which bass you are going to buy. The rest is easy....PRACTICE