1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching from Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by icecold0725, May 12, 2010.

1. icecold0725

icecold0725

May 12, 2010
    Hey all - I tried searching the forums to avoid double postings but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I've been playing acoustic 6 string for a while now (leisurely and a little with the church band) and I've never dabbled from it.

Recently we changed churches and the band there doesn't have a bass player and I figured if I have a decent understanding of the guitar already, it can't be too challenging to pick up the basic stuff on bass (I know it can be complicated but for basic worship type stuff I don't think the bass needs to be).

Anyway - I have NO clue which direction to go for buying a bass. I don't want to spend a lot (being my first bass and all) and I have no problem buying used. I've read that most recommend a 4 string for a beginner which is fine with me. If possible, I'm trying to stay under $200. (hard to convince my wife with baby on board that we need to spend more haha)

Appreciate any advice.
    George

2. If you want a bass to grow on
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

Either that or a used Squier Standard NOT Affinity bass
    in either Jazz or Precision/Precision Special
    The Squier standard is about as low as you can go that is solid construction wise and you can upgrade components later. The SXs are also decent but there is no way for you to try out the bass beforehand and I would only recommend the SX if you already had a bass and needed a backup.

I went from guitar to bass as well
    and while it does help immensely to have that knowledge of the fretboard,
    you will soon see/hear that the approach to guitar and bass are quite different
    and the more you play the more you will understand how fun it is to play the bass but in a different way than playing the acoustic.

I always felt that the bass was more of a groove thing and that you were more attuned to the drums and percussion. Working together and off each other. The guitar to me was more lyrical like a singer at least to me. I went from blues guitar to bass so who knows

3. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Under $200? A lot of folks like the SX basses from Rondo Music - you'll find a thread on them here for sure - do a search. Here's the link:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I've been looking at these - I'd get this one:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/spj623ts.html - the P/J - that way you can get both the P tone and with both pups full up, you can get a good slap tone. And it's way under your bugdet - only $119!

Then, if you dig playing bass, you can move up to the Fender J or P - Mexi, then USA.....see what happens. There are so many options beyond the starter bass though - you'd have to go to a store and play a bunch of different basses to see what you like, but for a starter, you can't beat the SX.

4. I got into bass the same way and even had an Affinity P Squire in the closet for years before I got serious and went out and got some amps and cabs. Then I added an SR500 Ibanez and another Ibanez in the form of an acoustic/electric.

What you may have over people who just start with a bass - and especially since you played an acoustic 6-er sorta-semi-classically, you have touch and feel going for you.

A lot of bass players take years to get that touch that can pull a note out of nowhere and make it work.

If you find an affinity P or J and it has some slight mods to it but hasn't been hacked with a hammer and chisel, then you can still generate some nice sounds with it - don't let anyone fool you.

Don't gas for a Geddy or some signature/boutique model either. You are only buying an attitude that won't fit you at this point. You will develop your OWN attitude, and IMO - you are better off controlling where YOU go, not the artist who got paid to sign a lithographic attachment.

The 4-string bass was/is now and forever is gonna be a true workhorse for music for many years to come. You cannot listen to 'friends' who tell you otherwise.

Build on a solid foundation and you'll never regret it. Bass playing is supposed to be fun.

I don't know about your church, but I bet the pay you get isn't $$ but is, instead - the happiness you bring with your musical abilities.

Do as you see fit - just don't let someone force you with shame or derision into something that is too far out for you yet.

JMHO