Switching from Protools to Logic. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm getting sick of Protools after using if for almost two years. Logic is starting to look real good now that Apple is behind them - lots of free plug ins, better MIDI control, and you can use just about any interface you want. This MBox I've got is rather bulky and fragile, and I'm tired of the proprietary technology that requires me to use it with Protools. That same technology seems to make third party developers shy away from offering many plug ins for Protools (at least cheap or free ones, anyway).

Anybody else made this switch, or using both platforms? Is there anything that I will gain or lose by switching to Logic?
  2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm interested in opinions here too. Our studio is almost complete and we're thinking of going with Logic over Protools - to be used on a G5...
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I think Logic 7 from here on out should definately be giving Pro Tools a run for its money. Is Pro Tools still going to be the standard? You bet. But who cares? If I were in a position to seting up a mac rig I would probobly go with Logic. I know there would be an intitial learning curve, cuz Logic is a dense program, the literature on the MIDI use alone could choke a horse. As Benjammin said though, the Apple support is definately a good thing. I would expect that Logic will make use of the G5 processor better than any program available, and will have support for future OS updates before anybody else. Not to mention the Logic 7 package is loaded with great stuff. I think if a guy is will to learn (or master) a new software, Logic is definately worth considering.
  4. I almost bought Logic a few years back, right before they dropped PC support. When I caught wind of that little bomb-shell I cancelled my order.

I was left very little choice at that time so I tried the Cubase SX demo and was quite impressed. I've since upgraded to Sx2.2 and its quite an amazing program. Rock-solid and very powerful.

Considering the fact that there are so many great VST and Direct-X plug-ins, its probably one of the best choices right now.

AFAIK Logic dropped support for VST in favour of AU, no? Pretty brain-dead move if you ask me. They're screwing over their customers so they can play their little political games. I wouldn't trust a company that subjects their customer base to the "idea of the moment", and especially one that drops their largest customer base, neglecting the employees who were undoubtedly laid-off just so they can push their own parent company's computers. Childish and reckless.

- Andrew
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I would bet that is was Apple's call more than Emagic's to favor Mac and Audio Units. I'm sure the product support team got sick of dealing with callers using PC's :) Seems kind of short sighted to get all pissy because they dropped PC support. First and foremost they are a business, and if selling to Mac and dropping support for PC increases the shareholders value then they are going to do it. Its called business. Secondly, now that they have streamlined development and such,Logic is much more powerfull. They basically wrote the program specifically for the G5's and its capable of way more than it ever was for PC. Which seems smart to me, they are trying to cater to the Professioanl market, and most Pro's are running Mac's. The notion that AU is a passing trend is not very credible. Apple developed it and they own Logic now and almost all the Plug in developers are writing for AU. Not to mention the continued support of TDM plug ins, also very smart.

I don't think I have ever met anybody who used Logic on Windows. To me Logic has alway been kind of a "tweeky" program and just seemed better suited to Mac. It was a calculated risk on Apples part and I am sure they do not regret it. Times will tell just how reckless the decision was.