1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

switching options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Aug 1, 2005.

1. i play a p bass knock off and i'm switching out some of the electronics this week, i want to add a switch that till be set, straight to output jack, run through vol/tone pots, or kill switch. will this switch work or is it strictly for pickup selection
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWT31
    thanks guys
    topher.

2. I think what you need is a on/off/on three way switch like this:
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWM12

The middle position would be the kill switch, then each of the other two poles could be wired either straight to output or to your volume/tone controls.

This is an interesting wiring need. Can I ask why you want a straight to output and kill switch?

3. yeah i figured this might sound a bit strange, thanks for directing me to the right switch though. the reason i want this is that i like hte option of going direct to the jack for some songs, i just love that wide open tone, while switching to through the tone control i can mellow things out a bit, and as i sing and play with a band, the killswitch comes in handy for when i'm not playing and only singing, yet the bass is still there, less potential feed back to worry about and such, right now i have a switch in one of my basses, for the ton.volume to wide open setting adn a killswitch and in my other bass i'd like to condense these all into one switch. thats for the reply

topher.

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I think that's a pretty cool idea. I've heard about "tone suckage" from pots and stuff, and while I haven't tested it myself, it's worth looking into. The setup you have in mind will give a 100% circut bypass, right? I wouldn't mind putting such a switch on my bass.