Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching over from bass guitar to EUB:stupid Q's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Doug Parent, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I need some instant feedback. I just found out I could get pretty regular work at my Church if I picked up Upright, or I'm assuming EUB would cut it just fine. I've been playing bass geetar about 25 years, I'm 48 years old with no arthritis issues. How long do you guys think it would take me to get up to speed where I could play for a couple hours on the gig assuming I'm a fast learner?

I'd be playing jazz standards pretty much.

secondly, what sort of EUB would be appropriate? I don't know JACK about EUB's.

Scale length?
    fretboard curvature or radius?
    electronics?
    If I had my pick of any Azola bass, which one?

Thanks.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Check with the powers that be before you pursue that assumption. For some, it doesn't matter at all. Other see the two as totally different animals.

As for picking it up, it depends. If you plan on going it alone, it may take a while. If you find a decent teacher, it may move more quickly.

3. pat1151

pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    I have just started on the double bass a month ago and In my personal opinon, its best to buy the real thing. At first I was thinking about buying an EUB, but then decided on the real thing. A month later I returned to the shop to buy a bag for my bass, and I tried the EUB after playing Double bass for a month and I realized that it really isnt the same at all, its a completely different feel and sound. The EUB feels like a toy and in my opinon loook pretty lame. Anyways my main advice is to go for a real Double Bass.

4. I'm not sure about EUB, but compared w/bass guitar, DB is much more physically demanding- it just takes more effort to get a good sound. I've played BG for 27 yrs, fretless BG for about 4, & toyed w/DB off & on for 10-12(only fairly seriously in the past year or two). Intonation isn't as difficult for me as 'fretting' hand strength. If I don't woodshed a bit through the week, come Sunday night(I play mine in Church at the evening service, BG in the morning)I'm in trouble.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Do you have any experience w/ fretless instruments?

That is definetly a factor when it comes to determining how long it will take you to become proficient. Like others have said, hand strength will be a big issue too. Getting a shorter scale and lowering the action will make this less of an issue, but will also make it sound much less like a db.

As far as how long it will take you to learn. I have been playing for about a year and a half, but consistently practicing for about 8 months or so. Right now I would say that I am fairly confident with intonation up to the 7th position. My hands are strong enough to practice for up to 2 hours, but as far as actual playing time, I'm hurting after a 45 minute set.

Scale length: A 3/4 DB is 41.5" EUB's come in varying scale lengths, lots are shorter. shorter is better as far as compactness & ease of play. Longer is better for tone reasons.

Fretboard curvature: fretboard are highly curved to allow the use of a bow, most EUB's have a curved fingerboard that is very close to a DB, but some have flat BG style fingerboards. These basses are not made to be bowed, and can feel unnatural to alot of players.

Electronics: Most EUB's use piezo pickups. A small number have magnetics as well. Piezo's are generally believed to have a more authentic sound, but mags are alot less troublesome/finicky.

Hope that helps.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I played a fretless for a few years, then had no need because I was in top 40 bands after that. Intonation wasen't a horrific problem for me.
    I appreciate the info guys thanks, and all the more that comes my way.