Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR-350+1x10/12" for DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassteban, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I haven't seen this combination used(hmmm..). Does any body use the old red-faced SWR bass 350 into a 1x10 or 12? I see these heads going fairly cheap all the time. Cheap, light head+EA/LDS/Bergie=Hartke Kickback 12(my current upright/indoor road rig)destroyer?

2. Does my breath stink?

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey, I've got a Bass 350 (not the red face, it's quite chrome -- but not the newer 350x) and a Goliath III Jr. 2x10 cabinet. I bought the head from a student who also had an Aguilar 1x12 he was selling. The 1x12 sounded great -- except for when I played my low E string on DB! I had suspicions that the woofer may have been blown...but all the other strings sounded just fine through the cabinet.

I'm considering selling my Bass 350 head and stepping up to a lighter, yet higher powered head like a Focus or iamp -- but only because I need the dough to do so. If things go well with some other equipment sales, I'd sooner hang on to the 350 because it's such a reliable amp. It's very quiet -- not much hiss or noise at all...and it can get quite loud. It also powers my SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab quite well on louder, electric bass gigs. Solid.

I suggest using a preamp with any piezo pickups you might have -- since the input is designed for electric bass.

Can't really give you any recommendations on single 1x10 or 1x12 speakers. Although I have heard big praise for the Bergies and EA Wizzy boxes.

4. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Just saw in the new Musicians Firend mag that they're blowing out the Ampeg 1x10 cabs for like $200. Wonder if they're any good for DB???

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    A lot of folks have said they don't like SWR because it kind of hypes the high end. I'm sure SWR has slab players in mind. That said, I use an SM900 for DB (with Bergantino 112 and/or 210) and I'm really happy with it. I tried a Focus, and I wanted to like it so badly so I could lighten my load (the SWR is heavy), but I couldn't do it. Perhaps the Focus is more "accurate", but I just like the tube-warmed sound for DB. Seems more natural sounding to me, even if it is more colored. Plus, I really like parametric EQ's, and the one on the SM900 is killer. I ended up making my load heavier by adding a Solstice instead so I can blend a mic. I have a more portable rig when needed (SWR Baby Blue head, Bergantino 112), but I love my sound with my SM900 & Berg 210. YMMV.

6. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Yeah -- I had one of those when they first came out. Unfortunately, it had big problems getting way too hot. I did use it bridged into one or two cabinets mostly for louder electric bass gigs. I bet it does sound quite nice for DB.

I've been chatting on other threads about the best head to get and have been thinking about the iamp series or maybe waiting for one of the new AI amps to hit the scene. In the meantime, I am going to try one the slightly higher powered SWR heads...maybe the 550x, although the octave feature doesn't really do it for me...

7. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Heard about the older SM900 problem. Mine is only about 3 years old. Any EA product is probably as good or better than the SM900.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an swr super redhead that I've used for DB lots in the past. It works very well, and is basically the same amp packed into a 210 combo package. I'd be glad to share eq settings if you end up with one. I've gigged this amp a lot since I bought it new in ~2000 with nary a hiccup.

9. Chain_Lightning

Chain_Lightning

Sep 8, 2014
    Yo, I know this request is abit late. but I pick up a pre-CBS SWR SRH. Great amp. I use electric passive & Active Basses. I would appreciate any advice on the EQ setting or anything on this great amp. (I have been reading the threads on this site already & just need some more info ) Thanks!