Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR amp tryout

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I played last night in a new club in Lahaina (which, by the way, is one of the nicest clubs I've ever played anywhere, but that's another story). Management said they would provide amplification, which set off some alarms, so I tossed a Contra in the truck just in case.

The amp in question was a brand new SWR "Workingmans 2004" thru the Goliath 4x10 cab (4 ohm). I was very pleasantly surprised with the stage sound of this thing. Much less coloration that I expected. I used my regular AMT mic/K&K DBT/Ravenlabs blender setup.

It just really sounded great. Basically, it sonically disappeared, allowing me to concentrate on playing. It was also really easy for a non-techhead like me to dial in a good sound. Seems promising for doublers.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Workingman's 1x12 is an awesome upright/doubling amp, much better IMO than the GK 1x12 and much better for doubling than the Contra. For 100 watts *loud*.

The bass player at my wedding had a SWR 4x10 and head for doubling, and it sounded great. I think the 10's are a hair scooped for my tastes...oh, and heavy!

Will

3. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I have a 2x10 boogie cab that I use with the swr baby baby blue, and it is all the stage volume that I need. I found one as a blem on musicians friend . com for $700 and I usually just line out and use the 1x10 swr for my stage volume with my underwood pickup on a old Kay bass. Later Gator

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been using an swr super redhead, and adding a goliath III for bigger venues. King D.B., K&K rab pup system, playing mostly R&B, blues, and jazz.
    I recently ordered a mesa 400+, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I also want to eventually add a Jorg Schroeder cab, and get rid of the goliath. I've heard really good things about Jorg's cabs...
    Obviously, I play loud sometimes.
    I do play unamplified, and smaller gigs with just an swr strawberry blonde to round things up a little...

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am hoping to use my SWR Silverado 4x8 when I get my K&K BM and Pre soon. I would love to try a smaller combo but I think the older Silverado will be a good one if it is anything like the Baby BLue.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've been using just an Underwood into a Clarus into a Bergantino 1x12. The Bergantino is kind of SWR-ish but better in every way that I can think of. I also have a Raven Labs Blender that is sitting by the way side, because this simplistic setup is absolutely great -- it's the most plug and play setup for upright I've ever used. All you have to do is set the rig flat, plug in and start playing.

Will